WFP’s Office of Evaluation commissioned this review to identify how WFP could strengthen and scale up its mother and child nutrition (MCN) interventions.
By endorsing the Food for Nutrition policy paper in 2004, WFP strengthened its corporate policy focus on nutrition issues including MCN. However, based on case studies in Cuba, India, Madagascar and Zambia the review recommends that WFP should:
• ensure the implementation of the corporate focus on nutrition including scaling up MCN interventions and coherence issues;
• improve the quality of its MCN programmes;
• improve targeting mechanisms to support MCN programmes;
• collaborate more closely with CBO’s /NGOs to establish food assistance programmes; with stronger community involvement
• have a more strategic approach towards its partnerships for MCN programmes; and
• expand its role in the establishment of local production of fortified blended foods