Urgent food aid to G.Bissau stalled due to lacking funds: UN

Published on 26 March 2013

- The United Nations said Tuesday that it had been forced to delay desperately-needed food aid to nearly 300,000 people in Guinea Bissau since it so far had received no donations to support the operation. "The assistance was due to start on March 1, 2013, but operations are stalled because, so far, (we have) not received any donor support for the operation," Elisabeth Byrs, spokeswoman for the UN's World Food Programme, told reporters in Geneva. The WFP was urgently seeking $7.1 million to provide food and nutrition aid to 278,000 people across the troubled west African nation this year, "including to young mothers and children at increased risk of malnutrition", she said.

Related Links

Global Post