19 March 2014
Before the crisis, more than 8,000 Muslims lived in the town of Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic. There are now less than a thousand. Since January they have been relying on humanitarian assistance to survive, counting the days between one distribution and the next.
19 March 2014
The Central African Republic is on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe as violence forces more and more people to flee their homes and the national economy edges towards collapse. With local food systems breaking down, WFP and its partners are seeing cases of malnutrition multiply.
14 February 2014
Conflict in the Central African Republic (CAR) has driven hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, creating a humanitarian crisis in which food assistance is vital. WFP is distributing emergency food rations and working to scale up operations.
3 February 2014
Nearly 41,000 people have taken refuge in Chad following escalating violence in Central African Republic (CAR). While many new arrivals are Chadian, they return to an unfamiliar country and lack a strong support network. In the town of Goré, people staying at the local health center have come together to create an organizing committee and help the humanitarian community provide assistance to those who need it.
30 January 2014
A new wave of refugees from Central African Republic (CAR) has crossed the border to Cameroon after conflict broke out between the Séléka movement and the former Bozizé regime last year. The new refugees add to the nearly 88,000 CAR refugees already living in the Adamaoua and Eastern regions.
27 January 2014
More than 40,000 people have already crossed the border into Chad, fleeing conflict and violence in Central African Republic (CAR). While most are Chadian, many returnees have been living outside the country for years and no longer benefit from a strong support network. WFP is working quickly to respond to the situation and has already started distributing food at transit centres along the CAR-Chad border.
16 January 2014
Conflict in the Central African Republic has driven hundreds of thousands of people from their homes. WFP is providing food assistance in the capital, Bangui, and in other areas of the country. Endoxie Yassibiri has sought refuge at the Bangui airport and is now receiving food from WFP. She is grateful for the assistance but dreams of returning home.
16 January 2014
The conflict in the Central African Republic (CAR) has driven hundreds of thousands of people from their homes. Amid ongoing insecurity, WFP is distributing food assistance to families in need. Here are nine key facts about the hunger crisis in CAR.
23 December 2013
In the Central African Republic, WFP is providing food assistance to thousands of people who have fled the renewed violence in December. Distributions are taking place in hospitals, orphanages, churches and mosques - wherever people take refuge. Wilfred Feizoure, a father of two, was one recent recipient. But he is far from passive. He is doing what he can to support his family in this chaotic time.
14 December 2013
WFP continued to distribute food on Saturday to 40,000 people who have camped out at the airport in Bangui after being forced to flee their homes by the recent outbreak of fighting in the Central African Republic’s capital.
- Worsened security leads to further displacement in Central African Republic Source: Xinhua News
- Today’s Central African Republic: It Really Doesn’t Get Much Worse Than This Source: The Ottawa Citizen (Canada)
- Hatred festers as Muslims and Christians suffer in Central African Republic Source: Irish Times
- WFP Chief Calls for Humanitarian Intervention in CAR Source: VOA News
- In Central African Republic, a ‘very desperate situation’ in makeshift camps Source: PBS NewsHour
- Central African Republic Situation Report #41 25 June 2014
- C.A.R. Regional Impact Situation Report #4 25 June 2014
- République du Congo - WFP/UNHCR Mission d'évaluation conjointe de la sécurité alimentaire et vulnérabilité des ménages de réfugiés provenant de la République Centrafricaine vivant dans le Département de la Likouala, Mai 2014
- Central African Republic - FAO/WFP Markets and Food Security Assessment Mission, April 2014