1 October 2013
Four hundred families from the Santa Elena Province are improving their diets by incorporating nutritious foods produced by small farmer associations, thanks to an initiative of the Decentralized Autonomous Government of the Santa Elena Province in partnership with World Food Programme (WFP).
1 August 2013
The WFP Deputy Regional Director and Officer in Charge, Alzira Ferreira, and the Regional Director of Plan in the Americas, Roland Angerer, signed an agreement to work together to fight food insecurity to help the most vulnerable populations, especially women and children, in Latin America and the Caribbean.
27 June 2013
ROME/VATICAN CITY – His Holiness Pope Francis this morning granted a private audience to Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). The meeting took place immediately upon Cousin’s return from Syria and following her recent visit to Israel and Palestine.
17 June 2013
Ecuador hosts the largest number of refugees in the western hemisphere. They are mostly Colombians, like Carmen and her family, who are struggling to make even enough money to survive. WFP works with other UN agencies and local governments to assist them.
10 December 2012
Our Information Officer in Ecuador, Gabriela Malo, did not expect that a phone call to Beatriz Caces to hear her story about the positive impact a WFP project was having on her and other women selling their vegetables to the school meals programme, would establish a link between them, in spite of living 200 kilometres apart.
21 November 2012
The Campo Elias Bravo School serves the Chulamúes community in the province of Carchi, Ecuador, close to the border with Colombia. Of the thirty-two children attending this school, 40 percent are Colombian or their parents come from Colombia. Many have fled violence to seek refuge on this side of the border. But life goes on: children need to go to school and also to eat in order to be able to concentrate in their studies.
15 October 2012
"Minga" in Kichwa means “community work”. Our colleague Inés Lopez who is based in Carchi, an Andean province of Ecuador, participated in a “minga” to protect the water source of the Cumbaltar community. Ines did not mind the five blisters the minga left on her hands. Instead she considered a gratifying memory of the day’s work, which involved women who received food once they finished working.
19 June 2012
April and May brought the heaviest rains and flooding seen in Ecuador over the last 30 years. WFP provided critical food assistance to the affected people, including those living in a community along the Onzole River. However, Melanie and her family still live fear as the rainy season is far from over in the Esmeraldas province and their home have been flooded three times this year.
30 May 2012
An international study conducted in Ecuador to evaluate three food assistance modalities –cash, vouchers and food—among vulnerable populations found that vouchers have several advantages over cash transfers or direct food delivery.
3 April 2012
Ecuador’s National Institute of Hydrology and Meteorology announced that 2012 will be a very tough year for the country weather wise. The forecast: unusual heavy rains, especially for the coast and in provinces of the Andes, like Carchi.
- Rural women's work recognized as motor of world development Source: El Comercio
- Training helps build capacities in Esmeraldas Source: La Hora
- Authorities Celebrate World Humanitarian Day Source: La Hora (Ecuador)
- Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: the Huffington Post
- UN World Food Programme in Ecuador: Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: Huffington Post blog
- Ecuador PRRO 200275 Assistance to Refugees and Persons Affected by the Conflict in Colombia (2011-2014): An Operation Evaluation
- Seasonal Monitor
- Transfers and Gender - A mixed methods study of the effect of cash, vouchers and food transfers on intra-household relations and intimate partner violence
- Ecuador: WFP Annual Report 2013
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together
- 26 September 2014 Refugees Don't Need to Worry about Their Next Meal
- 25 April 2014 Charley Anderson sings for women’s rights in Ecuador