10 December 2013
ADDIS ABABA – Her Majesty Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, the United Nations Secretary General’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development (UNSGSA), has just completed a two-day trip to Ethiopia to support Ethiopia’s efforts to make financial services more accessible to the rural poor.
9 December 2013
ADDIS ABABA – Her Majesty Queen Máxima of the Netherlands and the three food agencies of the United Nations are teaming up to raise awareness of how access to financial services – such as bank accounts, short-term credit, small loans, savings and insurance – can help improve the lives and livelihoods of smallholder farmers and the rural poor.
24 September 2013
ADDIS ABABA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today received 1,513 metric tons of rice, valued at US$718,000 (more than 13 million Ethiopian birr), from the Government of Brazil to assist refugees living in various camps in Ethiopia.
12 August 2013
ADDIS ABABA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has begun cash distributions to 255,000 vulnerable Ethiopians facing short-term acute food insecurity. The new pilot scheme is supported by funds from the European Commission Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO).
15 July 2013
24 June 2013
NAZARETH – A ceremony here today marked the donation of 867 metric tons of dates, valued at US$1.7 million (31 million Birr) from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the United Nations World Food Programme.
26 February 2013
ADDIS ABABA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has announced that local farmers cooperatives in Ethiopia have begun delivering the largest amount of maize they have ever sold to WFP, enough to support more than 1.8 million people for a month.
9 November 2012
ADDIS ABABA – A groundbreaking meeting in the Ethiopian capital this week has strengthened efforts to scale up nutrition initiatives under the Renewed Efforts Against Child Hunger and Undernutrition initiative, known as REACH.
16 October 2012
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and its partners celebrates World Food Day (16 October) by reaffirming their commitment to helping communities overcome hunger. In Ethiopia, WFP is helping smallholder farmers become more productive and gain better market access through its Purchase for Progress initiative.
4 October 2012
DOLO ADO – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) together with Donald E. Booth, the U.S. ambassador to Ethiopia, yesterday inaugurated a new airstrip for the Dolo Ado refugee camps.
- UN Utilizing Financial Inclusion Programs to Fight Rural Poverty Source: VOA News
- Delegates highlight rural poor financial inclusion service access Source: The Ethiopian Herald
- Lesson From A Famine: Markets Matter Source: Huffington Post
- Ethiopian farming co-ops begin record food delivery to UN for national relief efforts Source: UN News Centre
- Water-hungry Indian villagers find new reservoirs of solidarity Source: The Guardian
- 11 December 2013 Why Financial Inclusion Is Key To Ethiopia's Fight Against Hunger
- 10 December 2013 UN Agencies Link Ethiopian Farmers To School Meals Programs
- 15 March 2013 WFP Ethiopia in Pictures