15 April 2005
Asmara In Eritrea, where five successive years of inadequate rainfall have led to two-thirds of the population relying almost entirely on food assistance for survival, WFP has responded to increasing needs by revising and extending its emergency operation.
31 January 2005
Rome Ethiopia is enjoying a bumper harvest from the 2004 main season now projected to be more than 24 percent above the previous year\'s revised estimate of 11.49 million tonnes and 21 percent above the average for the past five years, according to a joint UN report.
12 August 2004
Addis Ababa - WFP warns that it would be forced to make a drastic cut in food rations for 118,000 refugees in camps in Ethiopia, unless donations of US$4.2 million are made urgently to provide enough food for at least the next six months.
30 June 2004
Addis Ababa - WFP today started an airlift of enriched food from the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, to Sudan\'s North Darfur and South Darfur states to help feed the most vulnerable among some one million people uprooted from their homes by conflict.
15 March 2004
Addis Ababa - WFP urges donors to give cash to enable humanitarian agencies to purchase food locally to assist millions of drought-affected people in Ethiopia.
20 February 2004
Addis Ababa - WFP announces that it has been forced to reduce the amount of food distributed to refugees in Ethiopia due to lack of funding. The 126,000 refugees will only receive 70 percent of the food considered adequate for a healthy diet.
14 January 2004
Rome Despite a good harvest, 7.2 million people still require assistance to meet minimum food requirements in 2004, according to a joint report released by two United Nations agencies. Last year, 13.2 million Ethiopians needed food assistance.
- UNHCR, WFP chiefs due in Ethiopia Source: Turkish Press
- Humanitarian crisis looms as refugees from South Sudan pour into Ethiopia Source: The Guardian
- Elimination of hunger in our lifetime can be a reality Source: The Irish Times
- UN Utilizing Financial Inclusion Programs to Fight Rural Poverty Source: VOA News
- Delegates highlight rural poor financial inclusion service access Source: The Ethiopian Herald
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists