14 January 2009
Wuditu Assefa spends much of her time travelling, talking to WFP partners and beneficiaries. She is a Field Monitor, based in Dessie in the north of Ethiopia. As she explains here, one of the things she monitors is the MERET project to reduce vulnerability to drought.
15 December 2008
Volli Carucci knows how to bring a brown, barren landscape back to life. A dry gully becomes an orchard; an arid hillside turns green with grass. The system is called MERET, which stands for Managing Environmental Resources to Enable Transition. Carucci helped develop it, as Heather Hill explains.
15 August 2008
Poor rains in the normally wet March-to-May period, compounded by high food and fuel prices, have hit the Horn of Africa region hard. Drought-affected people in the region now number 17.5 million.
6 March 2008
Sheila Sisulu, Deputy Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), arrived in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, late Wednesday evening on a two-day mission to promote new WFP strategies to tackle the root causes of hunger and poverty.
21 September 2007
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has designated Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan, First Lady of Dubai, as United Nations Messenger of Peace.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
31 July 2007
The Honourable Josée Verner, Minister of International Cooperation and Minister for La Francophonie and Official Languages today announced that Canada will provide CAD$125 million to the WFP over the next five years for food programs for children in African schools.
6 July 2007
Ten countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
4 July 2007
In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
24 April 2007
WFP Executive Director, Josette Sheeran, is on her first official trip to Africa. Her tour includes visits to Ethiopia, Sudan and Chad. Here's an overview of appointments for the first leg of the trip, Ethiopia.
- UN Utilizing Financial Inclusion Programs to Fight Rural Poverty Source: VOA News
- Delegates highlight rural poor financial inclusion service access Source: The Ethiopian Herald
- Lesson From A Famine: Markets Matter Source: Huffington Post
- Ethiopian farming co-ops begin record food delivery to UN for national relief efforts Source: UN News Centre
- Water-hungry Indian villagers find new reservoirs of solidarity Source: The Guardian
- 11 December 2013 Why Financial Inclusion Is Key To Ethiopia's Fight Against Hunger
- 10 December 2013 UN Agencies Link Ethiopian Farmers To School Meals Programs
- 15 March 2013 WFP Ethiopia in Pictures