22 September 2011
As a member of a farmers’ cooperative in drought-prone southern Madagascar, Armand Barijaona Ramamonjisoa sold his maize surplus to WFP, a course which improved his family’s livelihood.
14 December 2010
Communications are an essential part of any humanitarian aid operation, but keeping the lines open can be a tough job, says telecoms specialist Mark Phillips. He and his team have recently finished setting up radio repeaters around drought-plagued Madagascar, a challenging task even under the best of conditions.
18 March 2010
Tropical storm ‘Hubert’ struck Madagascar’s east coast on 10th March, claiming several lives and causing widespread damage. Many families were forced to flee their homes due to flooding. WFP is drawing on pre-positioned food stocks to help those affected.
7 September 2009
Food assistance enables millions of people in southern Africa to cope with the impact of HIV/AIDS, high food prices and natural disasters. But with WFP facing an unprecedented budget shortfall, many risk losing this critical support.
16 February 2009
WFP in Madagascar has recently had to deal with a complicated political situation and a cyclone. In this short Q&A, WFP Country Director Krystyna Bednarska explains how WFP was affected by the first and how it is responding to the second.
18 September 2008
Tens of thousands of poor, hungry children will soon start to enjoy a nutritious daily meal in class after the Government of Madagascar funded a massive expansion of a school feeding programme.
27 February 2008
The World Food Programme (WFP) has begun providing emergency food assistance to tens of thousands of people affected by the cyclone Ivan, which devastated large parts of Madagascar last week.
1 March 2007
From Afghanistan to Sudan, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these hotspots with WFP's weekly operational priorities update.
- Tropical Cyclone Haruna hits southwestern Madagascar Source: IRIN News
- Locust invasion threatens underfunded Madagascar Source: IRIN News
- Food-for-work scheme helps Malagasy forests and people Source: IRIN
- MADAGASCAR: Funding gap threatens school lunches Source: IRIN
- Combating child malnutrition in Madagascar Source: IRIN
- 24 April 2015 Keeping Hunger At Bay In Drought-hit Southern Madagascar
- 4 February 2015 Helping Households Hit By Madagascar Storm
- 10 November 2014 Madagascar's Minister Of Education Visits The South
- 29 October 2014 Improving Mothers' Health And Nutrition In Madagascar