Country Programme (CP 200287)
The Country Programme (CP) started in March 2012 and will be operational until February 2016. The overarching objective of the programme is to strengthen national capacity to improve primary education outcomes, reduce malnutrition among vulnerable groups, and improve the food security of communities living in disaster-prone areas and build their resilience to shocks. The CP aims to achieve this through its three components: Support to Education, Nutritional Support and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) for Food Security. Through the CP, WFP intends to develop the capacity of more than 2,000 government staff and some 3,600 local community members, in-line with WFP's shift from food aid to food assistance. A total of 122,948 metric tons of food is scheduled to be distributed to some 1,926,400 beneficiaries over a five-year period. WFP will procure most of its food assistance in the local markets, thus supporting the local economy, including smallholder farmers.
Targeted Relief Food Assistance to Vulnerable Population Affected by Natural Disasters (EMOP 200608)
In July 2013 the Malawi Vulnerability Assessment Committee (MVAC) estimated that approximately 1.46 million people in 21 out of 28 districts nationwide will be at risk of becoming acutely food insecure between October 2013 to February 2014. A main contributing factor is the poor harvest season, characterised by localized production shocks caused by rains that ended early or started late as well as flooding. The situation has deteriorated as the price of maize – Malawi’s staple food – has increased more than expected (currently 100 percent above last year). Other damaging factors include high inflation and reduced purchasing power.
The second annual MVAC assessment took place in November 2013, which found that over 1.85 million people will need food assistance through March 2014. This is a 27 percent increase from original estimates of 1.46 million people in need. An additional three districts in the southern and central regions will also require assistance bringing the total to 24 districts out of 28 districts nationwide in need of assistance.
While the majority of the WFP response (95 percent) will be in-kind food distributions, a small portion (5 percent) of the assistance will be cash transfers. WFP will target cash transfers for up to 155,000 beneficiaries this year. Cash transfers will be primarily through bank accounts. WFP and partners are scaling-up support to cover 95 percent of the vulnerable population in all 24 affected districts from October 2013 to March 2014. An international NGO consortium is assisting the remaining 5 percent of the at-risk population in Malawi.
Food Assistance to Refugees in Malawi (PRRO 200460)
The current refugee project started in June 2013 and will be operational through May 2015. The project will provide assistance to an estimated 23,400 refugees through general food distributions in the Dzaleka refugee camp and at the Karonga refugee transit shelter. Refugee movement and local integration is limited, making them heavily dependent on WFP food assistance to meet their basic food needs. The overall goal of the operation is to help achieve and maintain food security among refugees living in officially-designated camps while protecting the environment and livelihoods of the surrounding communities.
Purchase for Progress (P4P)
The Purchase for Progress (P4P) initiative leverages WFP’s purchasing power and expertise in food quality and logistics to link smallholders to agricultural markets. WFP and local partners work with farmer organisations to help smallholders develop business and harvesting skills to meet WFP’s high quality standards. By acquiring these skills, smallholders are able to sell their crop production to WFP and, most importantly, become competitive players in the formal markets to increase their incomes and improve their lives.
Since its start in 2009, P4P has linked over 16,000 Malawian farmers’ supply to both WFP’s demand for staple food and to other buyers in national and regional markets. In total, WFP Malawi has locally purchased over 50,000mt of food through P4P modalities. Of these, 5,340mt were sourced directly from smallholders through farmer organisations or small/medium traders.