2 September 2013
As schools reopen in the conflict-affected region of Timbuktu in northern Mali, WFP is providing children in 300 schools with two meals a day. This emergency school feeding programme has seen an increase in attendance, especially for girls.
22 August 2013
This year the rainy season in Mali has started late which may affect the harvest. Mali is just emerging from the 2011 food crisis and last year’s conflict which displaced many hundreds of thousands. The WFP is assisting the farmers in Segou, some 200 kilometres northeast of the capital, Bamako.
22 August 2013
The conflict in Mali has displaced more than 330,000 people and put huge pressure on vulnerable host communities. Having provided basic food commodities to the populations affected by both conflict and a food crisis, WFP is now entering a new phase of its assistance by providing financial support.
15 June 2013
Through this initiative, it is expected that farmers’ organizations will have improved access to reliable and sustainable markets which could ultimately help them to increase their productivity and income.
15 May 2013
A year of conflict in the West African nation of Mali has brought hunger to hundreds of thousands of people. Drought and endemic poverty have also taken their toll. Here are 8 things to know about hunger in Mali and what WFP is doing to deliver food and hope to the people who live there.
28 March 2013
After fleeing her home in Mali, Dizawahet, 23, is about to give birth to her third child at a refugee camp in Burkina Faso. That's where she was born as well during another conflict in Mali that drove her parents across the same border. Dizawahet says she's grateful for the help families like hers receive at the camp, but that what she really wants is to go home.
8 February 2013
As the fighting escalates in Mali, thousands of people forced from their homes are struggling to survive in other parts of the country. Aissata Walet is one of them. Forced to rent a hut in Bamako which she shares with 30 other people, Aissata say she doesn’t know how she’d feed her children without assistance from WFP.
12 December 2012
29 October 2012
As families in the Sahel struggle to recover from this year’s hunger crisis, tens of millions of locusts threaten to swarm across the region devouring the new harvest. To ensure that doesn’t happen, WFP has airlifted insecticide to Mali and Chad in a joint operation with its sister agency, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization.
8 August 2012
- Mali receives pledge of 520 million euros from EU Source: Euronews
- Mali: UN food agency ‘urgently working’ to aid communities despite insecurity Source: UN News Centre
- WFP grants food assistance to one million Malians Source: Afrique Jet
- Head of UN food aid agency urges support for Mali and entire Sahel region Source: UN News Centre
- Mali and Mauritania: War, Drought and School Meals Source: Yahoo! Voices
- WFP Mali Situation Report #05, 23 December 2014
- WFP Mali Situation Report #04, 21 November 2014
- WFP Mali Situation Report #03, 01 October 2014
- FAO/WFP/UNICEF/WFP/WHO/DFATD Canada Joint Evaluation of Renewed Effort Against Child Hunger and Under-nutrition (REACH): A Strategic Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- 3 December 2014 Bamako, Mali: Turning Trash Into Cash