8 December 2005
Niamey With the unloading this week of the first in a series of 10 airlifts of emergency food aid to Niger, WFP has moved into the most critical phase of its emergency operation to feed 2.5 million people who are caught in the grip of severe food shortages.
7 December 2005
Dakar - WFP has announced plans to almost triple the number of people being fed through its Niger emergency operation to over a million, as the annual \'hunger season\' takes a firm and distressing grip on one of the world\'s poorest countries.
23 November 2005
WFP warns that unless the international community renews its commitment to deal with the consequences of this year’s food crisis in Niger, the country faces a second successive year of extreme suffering.
27 October 2005
As the world focuses on a series of massive natural disasters and the spread of avian influenza, hunger in Africa has quietly climbed to an all-time high, threatening to destabilize much of the continent, warns James T. Morris, Executive Director of WFP.
13 October 2005
Speaking on the occasion of World Food Day on 16 October, the Executive Director of WFP, James Morris, said that by the end of the day 6,241,512 people will have already died of hunger and related diseases so far this year
29 September 2005
15 September 2005
9 September 2005
18 August 2005
Brussels - WFP welcomes a cash donation of five million euros from Belgium which will allow the agency to provide urgently needed food to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Niger, Mali, South Sudan, Zimbabwe and Malawi.
- Analysis: Slowing Nigerian grain trade threatens Sahel food security Source: IRIN News
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- In Niger, flooding adds to humanitarian woes Source: The Washington Post