24 November 2009
JOHANNESBURG – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of R3 million (US$400,000) from the Government of South Africa, which will help the agency to feed thousands of hungry families in the Horn of Africa region.
19 November 2009
ROME – Spain’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Soraya Rodriguez Ramos, today announced a donation of €75 million (US$112m) to the United Nations World Food Programme in response to the critical hunger situation in the Horn of Africa.
9 June 2009
17 March 2009
This news release was issued by the Office of the United Nations Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia.
22 January 2009
6 January 2009
The Executive Director of WFP condemned the killing, today, by gunmen of one of the agency’s staff members in southern Somalia, and urged all parties to the worsening conflict there to protect humanitarian workers.
22 October 2008
WFP is to begin delivering emergency supplies of a highly nutritious, peanut-based food to Somalia in a bid to combat the growing threat of severe malnutrition amongst children in the war-ravaged nation.
25 September 2008
WFP today welcomed the decision by Canada to extend its naval mission protecting ships carrying humanitarian aid to Somalia for a further month.
7 September 2008
Gunmen shot and killed a WFP-contracted truck driver in southern Somalia, the fourth driver delivering WFP food assistance killed this year, WFP said.
18 August 2008
The Executive Director of WFP has expressed shock and sadness today at the killing of one of the agency’s staff members in southern Somalia.
- WFP: 1.6 Million in Need of Food Aid in Somalia Source: VOA News
- Somalia: UN Relief Official Cautions Against Complacency On Food Security Source: allAfrica
- As peace returns to Somali town, UN food relief agency resumes assistance Source: UN News Centre
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- UN: Millions in Somalia Need Aid Source: VOA News
- 6 February 2013 WFP Food Assistance Returns To Kismayo
- 16 October 2012 Somalia: Livestock Farmer Begins To Recover From Drought