19 November 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) welcomed the safe arrival today of the first two ships carrying WFP food assistance to be escorted by a French naval vessel to Somalia, and urged other countries to step forward to help protect humanitarian assistance from pirate attacks.
23 October 2007
Executive Director Josette Sheeran welcomes the release of Idris Osman, officer-in-charge of WFP’s office in Mogadishu, detained by authorities in the Somali capital since 17 October.
19 October 2007
World Food Programme Executive Director, Josette Sheeran, has condemned the continued detention of WFP staff member Idris Osman, who was seized by armed men on Wednesday.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
7 October 2007
The heads of two United Nations agencies have made a joint call for concerted and coordinated international action to address the threat of piracy and armed robbery against ships in waters off the coast of Somalia
26 September 2007
WFP has thanked France for its proposal to provide naval escorts to protect ships carrying food off the Horn of Africa from pirate attacks.
28 August 2007
WFP has increased the number of people it aims to feed in Somalia this year to 1.2 million and appealed for urgent contributions of US$22.4 million to avoid a looming break in food supplies.
5 August 2007
WFP has said that the first distributions of WFP food assistance has started in Mogadishu to 16,000 residents and people returning to districts most heavily damaged by the worst fighting in the Somali capital in 16 years.
17 July 2007
WFP has appealed for urgent contributions to avoid breaks in its supply line of food assistance to Somalia because of forecasts of crop failure.
- Joint appeal on Kenya refugee resourcing Source: Al Jazeera
- Aid reaches storm-ravaged Somali region Source: Al Jazeera
- UN Envoy:Somalia on verge of 'great things,' more international assistance needed to secure gains Source: UN News Centre
- PICTURES: Surviving camp life in Mogadishu Source: BBC News
- Somalia 'New Deal': EU pledge at Brussels conference Source: BBC News
- 3 December 2013 WFP Delivers Life-Saving Aid To Cyclone-Hit Puntland, Somalia
- 6 February 2013 WFP Food Assistance Returns To Kismayo