10 December 2005
WFP today strongly condemned the hijacking of a food aid ship Wednesday afternoon by unidentified gunmen at the port of Merka, 100 kilometres southwest of Mogadishu.
27 October 2005
As the world focuses on a series of massive natural disasters and the spread of avian influenza, hunger in Africa has quietly climbed to an all-time high, threatening to destabilize much of the continent, warns James T. Morris, Executive Director of WFP.
14 October 2005
The release of the hijacked MV Miltzow – after being held for 32 hours – was welcomed today by WFP, which can now proceed with delivering the cargo of relief food to 78,000 drought-stricken people in southern Somalia.
28 September 2005
WFP confirmed today that the hijackers of a WFP-chartered ship seized three months ago had broken an agreement to release the vessel.
23 September 2005
WFP today declared null and void all agreements with Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and community leaders to end the hijack of a Kenyan-owned vessel off the coast of Somalia.
19 August 2005
8 August 2005
Nairobi - WFP announces an agreement with community leaders and Somalia\'s Transitional Federal Government (TFG) to allow the release of a hijacked ship, its 10-member crew and its cargo of WFP food aid within days.
28 June 2005
Geneva- With refugee numbers in Kenya failing to decline despite steps toward peace in Somalia and Sudan, WFP appeals for US$6.7 million to feed nearly a quarter of a million refugees in two northern Kenya camps until the end of 2005.
23 June 2005
Bangkok - Having launched one of the most complex emergency operations in its history, during which it delivered food, medicine and even helped evacuate the injured, WFP has shifted focus to long-term recovery.
- Joint appeal on Kenya refugee resourcing Source: Al Jazeera
- Aid reaches storm-ravaged Somali region Source: Al Jazeera
- UN Envoy:Somalia on verge of 'great things,' more international assistance needed to secure gains Source: UN News Centre
- PICTURES: Surviving camp life in Mogadishu Source: BBC News
- Somalia 'New Deal': EU pledge at Brussels conference Source: BBC News
- 3 December 2013 WFP Delivers Life-Saving Aid To Cyclone-Hit Puntland, Somalia
- 6 February 2013 WFP Food Assistance Returns To Kismayo