27 February 2009
A new sea route to deliver WFP relief to people in Sri Lanka is helping efforts to reach hungry people displaced by the recent escalation of hostilities in the northern Vanni region.
6 February 2009
Despite very limited access to the displaced people in the northern Vanni region, WFP has organized 11 convoys since September and is looking for other innovative ways to deliver vital food assistance to those in need.
19 September 2007
The first consignment of emergency food assistance, part of a total donation valued at US$14 million, was handed over to the Government of Sri Lanka by United States Ambassador to Sri Lanka Robert Blake at a function held today at the Government warehouse complex at Orugodawatte.
31 August 2007
WFP hs welcomed major US government contributions for August totaling US$69 million, aimed at feeding people in seven countries confronting humanitarian challenges ranging from severe drought to civil conflict.
4 July 2007
In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
23 February 2007
From Afghanistan to Sudan, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these crisis hotspots with WFP's weekly operational priorities update.
14 February 2007
From Afghanistan to Haiti, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these crisis hotspots with WFP's operation update.
11 September 2006
The total number of people newly displaced by the recent fighting between Sri Lankan government armed forces and the Tamil Tigers (LTTE – Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam) is estimated at 240,000 as of 4 September.
8 September 2006
Violence has dogged northern Sri Lanka for some twenty years as the government and Tamil Tiger rebels clash. Many people have been internally displaced and driven into camps. "Our future is a big question mark," one woman tells WFP spokesperson, Sandra Bisin.
22 August 2006
Conflict returned to Sri Lanka in early August, with continuous fighting reported in the areas of Jaffna to the north and Trincomalee in the east. WFP is assisting those displaced.
- Sri Lanka: Back-to-back disasters compound north’s difficulties Source: IRIN
- Sri Lanka: WFP eyes cash/voucher expansion Source: IRIN
- Struggling Beside the Shining New Road Source: Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Sri Lanka to export rice to emerging markets and WFP Source: China Daily
- TNT Express Sri Lanka donates shoes to school children Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists
- 19 October 2012 Sri Lanka Drought: Difficult Times In The North And The East
- 10 April 2012 Sri Lanka: First Cash Voucher Programme
- 12 December 2011 Sri Lanka: High Food Prices - A View From Batticaloa Market