1 August 2012
Poor families in parts of Syria affected by the recent conflict need both immediate food aid and help with ensuring food production in coming months. Seeds, food for animals and repairs to irrigation systems are all necessary if livelihoods are to be saved.
28 June 2012
Thousands of Syrian refugees will receive food assistance as part of an emergency operation launched by WFP in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Iraq. For many, it will come in the form of food vouchers which families can use to buy food on local markets. WFP plans on reaching over 120,000 refugees with assistance by the end of the year.
19 May 2011
The coastal town of Lattakia, in Syria, is home to thousands of Iraqi refugees, many of whom receive food aid through WFP’s new Electronic Voucher System (EVS). In recent weeks, Syria has also been home to an escalating wave of civil unrest. And yet, despite all the chaos, the system has continued to work.
28 October 2009
A pilot project in Damascus has begun distributing WFP food vouchers in the form of mobile phone text messages to Iraqi refugees. It’s believed to be the first such scheme in the world.
26 May 2009
Two Iraqi refugee households in the Syrian capital Damascus recently received an early morning visit from the Arab world’s young film star and WFP celebrity partner Hend Sabry.
15 April 2008
WFP Ambassador Against Hunger Mahmoud Yassin has called on donors to provide urgent funding now to enable WFP to continue its operation to provide food assistance to tens of thousands displaced Iraqis in Syria after early June.
12 December 2007
Carla Van Kampen decided to combine her love of food and experience as a journalist with her work at WFP to write a cook book of recipes from WFP’s field offices. The result is "What the World Eats: A Collection of Everyday Recipes from the United Nations World Food Programme".
18 June 2007
WFP has thanked the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 720 metric tons of dates donated to support WFP’s beneficiaries in Syria.
- UN launches $6.5bn Syria appeal Source: The Guardian
- Syria crisis: 'These families once had pretty good lives' Source: BBC News
- Half of Syria's population has no food security Source: AFP
- Syria's battle for bread Source: BBC News
- U.N. Seeks $6.5 Billion for Syria Crisis in 2014 Source: The New York Times
- 19 December 2013 ECHO and WFP provide food vouchers to Syrian refugees in Jordan
- 17 December 2013 Syria: Families Cook Donated Food In Communal Kitchen
- 16 December 2013 WFP Scales Up Its Syria Emergency Operation (For The Media)
- 12 December 2013 Special Food Relief For Syrian Children At Risk Of Malnutrition