11 November 2013
In The Gambia, parents and teachers are building on the World Food Programme’s school meals initiative by growing vegetables to enrich their children’s diets as part of the government-led Home-Grown School Feeding Programme. At Dingirai Lower Basic School, in the Central River region, everyone has pitched in, and the children love the results.
11 March 2013
WFP Ambassador Howard Buffett recently visited The Gambia, where he met with high-level officials and saw WFP school meals in action. During his visit, Buffett made a financial commitment to support a local procurement feasibility study. The aim of the study is to highlight the role of local markets in school feeding programmes, thereby contributing to the establishment of a national school feeding programme owned and managed by The Gambian Government.
8 August 2012
2 August 2012
At Besse in the Foni Berefet District, West Coast Region, WFP and partners launched the first Supplementary Feeding Programme to prevent acute malnutrition in children under the age of five.
25 May 2012
As part of its Sahel food crisis response, WFP has launched an emergency operation in Gambia, aiming to provide assistance to 206,000 people this year.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
25 November 2011
WFP in The Gambia supports schools gardens through its school feeding programme. The gardens provide vegetables for school meals and are an opportunity for students to learn through doing.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa: After the drought, floods - and harvest worries Source: IRIN
- 29 April 2013 WFP School Meals In The North Bank Region Of The Gambia