24 July 2012
A photo of a daring manoeuvre by a truck driver in Afghanistan recently became the most popular item ever posted by WFP on Facebook. Spokesperson Silke Buhr spoke to the man behind the camera and the man behind the wheel. See the post
24 July 2012
A flash flood in Kabul recently destroyed the homes of hundreds of families. WFP was quick to come to their aid.
21 June 2012
An 84-year-old Afghan man reflects on hand-to-mouth existence and on the importance of being food secure.
21 June 2012
Facing a double whammy of natural disasters -- drought in 2011 and floods in 2012 -- in the northern region, Public Information Officer Assadullah Azhari explains what WFP is doing to help thousands of flood-affected communities in the country.
21 May 2012
WFP food rations can be an incentive for families to send women on training courses, where they learn how to read and write as well as basic marketable crafts. Enjila Hashimi spoke to women on a course in Kabul to find out what difference such a food-for-training activity had made in their lives.
10 May 2012
As many countries around the world prepare to celebrate Mother's Day, Public Information Officer Silke Buhr reflects on some of the challenges faced by women in Afghanistan.
2 May 2012
A convoy of WFP trucks braved mountain passes and precarious road conditions to deliver food to schools in remote villages in central Afghanistan that had been cut off during the harsh winter.
24 April 2012
Through an emergency humanitarian assistance operation, WFP is addressing food shortages affecting drought-affected communities in 14 northern provinces of Afghanistan. In Jawzjan province, WFP has worked with the local Community Development Council to identify those who most required assistance, and recently distributed food for 175 families in one district.
10 April 2012
A food-for-assets project in Eastern Afghanistan provides displaced people and widows the chance to earn a living - while helping to make the country green.
25 March 2012
Afghanistan has one of the highest rates of tuberculosis infection in the world. Nutritional support is essential in enabling patients to take-up treatment and improving treatment success.
- Harsh winter takes toll on Afghan war displaced Source: Reuters Alertnet
- UN environmental agency to help Afghanistan combat effects of climate change Source: UN News Centre
- More than Lego: WFP's Factory-in-a-box Source: Devex
- The challenge of getting food to Afghan schoolchildren Source: The Examiner
- What It Means To Be A Mother In Afghanistan Source: Care2.com
- 13 March 2013 How Food Is Empowering Women In Afghanistan
- 20 December 2012 Afghanistan: Winter Help For Refugees In Kabul
- 16 November 2012 Afghanistan: Expanding Horizons For The Women Of Kandahar
- 16 November 2012 Afghanistan: Empowering The Next Generation In Kandahar