Current Operations
Provision of Common Humanitarian Air Services to UN Agencies, NGOs and Counterparts in Afghanistan

This operation has been modified as B/R 01 up to December 31, 2011.

This special operation (SO) caters for the provision of a safe, reliable and costeffective air transport service to the humanitarian community in Afghanistan in 2010.The United Nations Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) will be managed by WFP to facilitate the movement of aid workers providing humanitarian assistance throughout the country and in the region. This service has been requested by 700 different humanitarian agencies and the donor community operating in Afghanistan.

Through this project, WFP/UNHAS will operate three aircraft based in Kabul and Islamabad, flying to at least eleven locations.

The project applies a partial cost recovery mechanism, which is expected to cover approximately 60 per cent of the costs, while the remaining 40 per cent of the budget is expected to be raised through donor contributions. The special operation is for a duration of 12 months, from 1 January to 31 December 2010.

Operation documents
Budget revisions
Resourcing updates
WFP Offices
Country at a glance 2014
Planned Beneficiaries0
Beneficiary needs (mt)106,459
Beneficiary needs ($US)176,938,541
Donors - 2014 ($US)
Donors - Directed contributions
Multilateral contributions-
Republic of Korea6,000,000
United Kingdom1,064,963
Saudi Arabia226,289
Private Donors15,354
Threats to food security
  • Insecurity
  • Difficult access to markets
  • Poor sanitation
  • Low education level
  • Drought
  • Floods
  • Environmental degradation