26 June 2013
Following the food crisis in 2012, WFP Burkina Faso has launched a new project to speed up vulnerable populations' recovery, build their resilience to future shocks and reduce malnutrition.
21 June 2013
WFP Burkina Faso is carrying out Cash for Assets activities across six regions of the country, providing cash to vulnerable households in return for activities that boost food security.
29 April 2013
A Cash for Assets project in Burkina Faso is helping farmers improve their food security status. Under the project, community members receive cash to purchase locally available food in exchange for work on vital new infrastructure, in this case, for rice cultivation.
28 March 2013
After fleeing her home in Mali, Dizawahet, 23, is about to give birth to her third child at a refugee camp in Burkina Faso. That's where she was born as well during another conflict in Mali that drove her parents across the same border. Dizawahet says she's grateful for the help families like hers receive at the camp, but that what she really wants is to go home.
22 March 2013
WFP Executive Director Ertharin Cousin visited Burkina Faso this month to look at the situation in the West African country one year after the region was hit by a severe food and nutrition crisis. WFP reached some 1.5 million people in Burkina with emergency food assistance as part of its response to the region-wide Sahel crisis. For Burkina the effects of drought were compounded by an influx of Malian refugees fleeing conflict in their country.
22 January 2013
As part of Burkina Faso’s Independence Day celebrations, WFP received a national honor for social action from the President Blaise Kampaore.
8 January 2013
The Government of Brazil has recently donated 1000 metric tonnes of rice to WFP for Malian refugees living in Burkina Faso.
2 November 2012
During the months of the rainy season WFP used multiple means of transportation including donkey-pulled carts and canoes to deliver food to communities in the Sahel region.
8 August 2012
Now in the middle of the lean season, WFP is scaling up its operation in Burkina Faso by launching cash interventions that aim to assist over 92,000 households to purchase available food on local markets.
8 August 2012
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Burkina Faso: Low-cost steps for long-term food security Source: IRIN
- 6 December 2013 In Burkina Faso, School Meals Raise Enrolment, Improve Nutrition
- 26 September 2013 Hungry Planet: Episode 30
- 23 August 2013 Burkina Faso: Reforestation in the North