22 March 2013
WFP Executive Director Ertharin Cousin visited Burkina Faso this month to look at the situation in the West African country one year after the region was hit by a severe food and nutrition crisis. WFP reached some 1.5 million people in Burkina with emergency food assistance as part of its response to the region-wide Sahel crisis. For Burkina the effects of drought were compounded by an influx of Malian refugees fleeing conflict in their country.
22 January 2013
As part of Burkina Faso’s Independence Day celebrations, WFP received a national honor for social action from the President Blaise Kampaore.
8 January 2013
The Government of Brazil has recently donated 1000 metric tonnes of rice to WFP for Malian refugees living in Burkina Faso.
2 November 2012
During the months of the rainy season WFP used multiple means of transportation including donkey-pulled carts and canoes to deliver food to communities in the Sahel region.
8 August 2012
Now in the middle of the lean season, WFP is scaling up its operation in Burkina Faso by launching cash interventions that aim to assist over 92,000 households to purchase available food on local markets.
8 August 2012
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
31 May 2012
This year, 18 million people will be affected by the unfolding hunger crisis in Sahel, according to the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
13 April 2012
The influx of over 32,000 Malian refugees has made an already fragile situation in Burkina Faso worse. Their arrival has put pressure on arid regions, where access to water and food is always difficult.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Burkina Faso: Low-cost steps for long-term food security Source: IRIN
- Burkina Faso - Analyse globale de la vulnérabilité, de la sécurité alimentaire et de la nutrition (AGVSAN), Juillet 2014
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Do School Feeding Programs Help Children?
- Educational And Health Impacts Of Two School Feeding Schemes: Evidence From A Randomized Trial In Rural Burkina Faso
- 6 December 2013 In Burkina Faso, School Meals Raise Enrolment, Improve Nutrition