2 November 2012
During the months of the rainy season WFP used multiple means of transportation including donkey-pulled carts and canoes to deliver food to communities in the Sahel region.
8 August 2012
Now in the middle of the lean season, WFP is scaling up its operation in Burkina Faso by launching cash interventions that aim to assist over 92,000 households to purchase available food on local markets.
8 August 2012
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
31 May 2012
This year, 18 million people will be affected by the unfolding hunger crisis in Sahel, according to the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
13 April 2012
The influx of over 32,000 Malian refugees has made an already fragile situation in Burkina Faso worse. Their arrival has put pressure on arid regions, where access to water and food is always difficult.
20 February 2012
Following erratic rains and poor harvests, Burkina Faso is among the Sahel countries currently facing a food and nutrition crisis.
30 January 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought has returned to the Sahel region of West Africa bringing hunger to millions of people across the region. WFP is pre-positioning food assistance ahead of the annual lean season when the vulnerable – especially women and children – are most at risk of malnutrition.
1 December 2011
Patricia is 42 years old and has been living with HIV for 10 years. She is now receiving food assistance through WFP, essential for effective antiretroviral treatment.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Burkina Faso: Low-cost steps for long-term food security Source: IRIN
- 6 December 2013 In Burkina Faso, School Meals Raise Enrolment, Improve Nutrition
- 26 September 2013 Hungry Planet: Episode 30