20 February 2012
Following erratic rains and poor harvests, Burkina Faso is among the Sahel countries currently facing a food and nutrition crisis.
30 January 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought has returned to the Sahel region of West Africa bringing hunger to millions of people across the region. WFP is pre-positioning food assistance ahead of the annual lean season when the vulnerable – especially women and children – are most at risk of malnutrition.
1 December 2011
Patricia is 42 years old and has been living with HIV for 10 years. She is now receiving food assistance through WFP, essential for effective antiretroviral treatment.
18 November 2011
WFP organised a training session on food security and nutrition for 25 local journalists. Along with two sessions with WFP specialists, the journalists were lead to visit the nutrition activities in a health center supported by WFP.
26 October 2011
The Ambassador of France in Burkina Faso Emmanuel Beth visited WFP nutrition and school feeding activities in the Sahel region alongside WFP Country Director Angelline Rudakubana and others from the WFP Burkina Faso team.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
15 September 2011
In a little village of the Sahel region, Daouda goes to school, where he receives hot meals through WFP's school feeding programme.
27 July 2011
Pandemics and large-scale disasters pose specific challenges to humanitarian emergency operations, especially in urban areas. Through a recent one-week pandemic simulation, WFP aimed to prepare countries in West Africa to face these challenges so that they can better assist vulnerable populations.
8 April 2011
From morning to night, Elise spends her days taking care of her family and working in nearby rice fields. As a beneficiary of the Lowlands Management Project, she is now better able to provide for her six children.
10 February 2011
In the community of Gorgadji, many more students make the long trek to school every morning now that they receive two hot meals a day. WFP's school meals programme encourages enrolment, especially for girls, and allows students to concentrate better in class.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Burkina Faso: Low-cost steps for long-term food security Source: IRIN
- Burkina Faso - Analyse globale de la vulnérabilité, de la sécurité alimentaire et de la nutrition (AGVSAN), Juillet 2014
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Do School Feeding Programs Help Children?
- Educational And Health Impacts Of Two School Feeding Schemes: Evidence From A Randomized Trial In Rural Burkina Faso
- 6 December 2013 In Burkina Faso, School Meals Raise Enrolment, Improve Nutrition