21 January 2011
Ouagadougou Fofana, a father of thirteen, is now able to provide for his family thanks to WFP Purchase for Progress (P4P) initiative, which guarantees an outlet for farmers’ produce in Burkina Faso. With increased production and income, Mr. Fofana’s means of survival has developed into a business that allows him to feed, clothe, and educate his family.
22 November 2010
Assétau Bagagnan, a mother of four, says she knew nothing at all about the importance of getting the right vitamins and nutrients before bringing her malnourished baby son to a feeding centre in rural Burkina Faso. Armed with this new knowledge, she says she’s now better equipped to care for her family.
8 September 2009
WFP has started distributing vital food rations to the victims of widespread flooding across West Africa, launching emergency operations in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania for thousands of people in the worst affected areas.
18 February 2009
When shops and markets are full of produce, but prices are still too high for the poor, sometimes it makes more sense to give people vouchers than bags of food.
2 February 2009
12 December 2007
Nicole Menage, chief of WFP’s food procurement service, talks to web writer Michelle Hough about a little-known fact: WFP bought over three-quarters of its food in 2006 in developing countries.
28 September 2007
WFP has welcomed US government contributions in September totaling US$110.7 million for the hungry poor in 11 countries from Latin America to Asia. Nearly half the resources were targeted to Sudan, home to WFP’s single-largest operation in the world.
9 October 2006
WFP has welcomed a significant new donation of €5.6 million from the government of Luxembourg. With a total contribution this year of €9.6 million, Luxembourg is one of WFP’s most important donors in the fight against hunger.
4 October 2005
WFP welcomes a donation of US$1.8 million by the Government of Turkey that has been earmarked for six West African countries, all in urgent need of food aid.
16 September 2005
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Burkina Faso: Low-cost steps for long-term food security Source: IRIN
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Do School Feeding Programs Help Children?
- Educational And Health Impacts Of Two School Feeding Schemes: Evidence From A Randomized Trial In Rural Burkina Faso
- The WFP-World Bank IFPRI Three-Country Studies: Results and Evidence Based Learning from Impact Evaluation Studies School Feeding
- 6 December 2013 In Burkina Faso, School Meals Raise Enrolment, Improve Nutrition