16 July 2014
Fatimatou Djara is one of over 100,000 people who have arrived in Cameroon this year, fleeing the vicious bloodletting in the Central African Republic. She and her three children receive food from WFP every month. In this interview, she explains some of the changes that life as a refugee brings.
24 June 2014
In Cameroon up to 1 out of 3 refugee children from Central African Republic suffer from malnutrition, a recent United Nations assessment found. Kinday Samba, WFP senior nutritionist, was part of the assessment mission. We asked her about what she saw.
6 June 2014
Exhausted, hungry and often sick, tens of thousands of people have crossed the border from Central African Republic (CAR) into Cameroon. Young children are hit hardest by malnutrition. To respond to the dire humanitarian crisis, WFP is implementing an emergency operation to feed vulnerable families and fight malnutrition, which is proving fatal for people weakened by the cross-border journey.
30 January 2014
A new wave of refugees from Central African Republic (CAR) has crossed the border to Cameroon after conflict broke out between the Séléka movement and the former Bozizé regime last year. The new refugees add to the nearly 88,000 CAR refugees already living in the Adamaoua and Eastern regions.
8 August 2012
18 July 2012
The arrival of the lean season this month is exacerbating conditions in the Far North region of Cameroon. 400,000 people are estimated to be affected by the food and nutrition crisis.
4 July 2012
WFP is providing food assistance to more than 200,000 people affected by crop failure and livestock losses in the Far North region of Cameroon, where poverty rates are well above than the 40 percent national average.
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
- Cameroon border town battered by C.Africa spillover Source: Yahoo! News/ AFP
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Seasonal Monitor
- C.A.R. Regional Impact Situation Report #4 25 June 2014
- Cameroun - WFP/UNHCR Evaluation de l'assistance humanitaire et de la situation des réfugiés centrafricains vivant au Cameroun, Juillet 2013
- The International Rise in Maize and Wheat Prices and its Potential Impact on Food Security in West Africa, August 2012