30 January 2014
A new wave of refugees from Central African Republic (CAR) has crossed the border to Cameroon after conflict broke out between the Séléka movement and the former Bozizé regime last year. The new refugees add to the nearly 88,000 CAR refugees already living in the Adamaoua and Eastern regions.
8 August 2012
18 July 2012
The arrival of the lean season this month is exacerbating conditions in the Far North region of Cameroon. 400,000 people are estimated to be affected by the food and nutrition crisis.
4 July 2012
WFP is providing food assistance to more than 200,000 people affected by crop failure and livestock losses in the Far North region of Cameroon, where poverty rates are well above than the 40 percent national average.
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
31 August 2011
While drought ravages swathes of eastern Africa, on the other side of the continent many communities in Cameroon’s dry north have set up village granaries to help them through the lean season. Supported by WFP, the granaries are mostly run by women.
28 May 2010
Some 10 million people in the Sahel region of West-Central Africa risk going hungry as the summer lean season arrives on the heels of a long drought. WFP is stepping up operations in four countries of the Sahel, to ease the suffering of those hardest hit.
17 December 2009
Many kids in northern Cameroon get their main meal of the day thanks to WFP’s school meals program. The program also helps ensure that children get an education – without the meals, their parents wouldn’t send them to school. Rekdai Noel, 19, is only now starting to realise what a difference WFP made to his life…
- Cameroon border town battered by C.Africa spillover Source: Yahoo! News/ AFP
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- The International Rise in Maize and Wheat Prices and its Potential Impact on Food Security in West Africa, August 2012
- Cameroon - Evaluation approfondie du programme d’assistance aux refugies Tchadiens de Langui (Nord) et Centrafricains dans les regions de l’Est et de l’Adamaoua du Cameroun, May 2012