23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
31 August 2011
While drought ravages swathes of eastern Africa, on the other side of the continent many communities in Cameroon’s dry north have set up village granaries to help them through the lean season. Supported by WFP, the granaries are mostly run by women.
28 May 2010
Some 10 million people in the Sahel region of West-Central Africa risk going hungry as the summer lean season arrives on the heels of a long drought. WFP is stepping up operations in four countries of the Sahel, to ease the suffering of those hardest hit.
17 December 2009
Many kids in northern Cameroon get their main meal of the day thanks to WFP’s school meals program. The program also helps ensure that children get an education – without the meals, their parents wouldn’t send them to school. Rekdai Noel, 19, is only now starting to realise what a difference WFP made to his life…
22 February 2008
The United Nations World Food Programme is providing a new round of food assistance to 20,000 Chadian refugees in northern Cameroon as they are transferred by the UN refugee agency from a transit site near the border to a camp.
- Cameroon border town battered by C.Africa spillover Source: Yahoo! News/ AFP
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News