28 January 2014
BANGUI – After a first convoy of desperately needed food supplies reached the capital of the Central African Republic (CAR), the UN World Food Programme (WFP) welcomed the cooperation that made the tense road journey possible but warned that securing the country’s roads is crucial to provide a food lifeline to growing numbers of displaced people.
20 January 2014
BANGUI – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is running out of food to distribute to growing numbers of displaced people in the Central African Republic because insecurity is blocking supply routes.
8 January 2014
BANGUI – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is distributing food to people at Bangui International Airport where an estimated 100,000 people have sought refuge. The food distributions resumed after a three-week break because of insecurity at the site.
31 December 2013
BANGUI/ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today it would scale up food distributions in conflict-wracked Central African Republic (CAR) to assist up to 1.25 million people in the next eight months as growing numbers of people go hungry.
10 December 2013
BANGUI– A joint rapid assessment in the Central African Republic (CAR) found that more than 60,000 people have been displaced after renewed violence erupted on 5 December and that food is a priority. To respond to immediate needs, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is providing food assistance to affected people across the capital, as well as in Bossangoa to the north-west.
8 November 2013
BANGUI – A recent study has found that 1.1 million people in the Central African Republic (CAR) risk going hungry and warns the situation could worsen because of poor harvests and a drastic slowdown in economic activity following months of violence.
20 September 2013
BANGUI – At the end of a two-day visit to the Central African Republic (CAR), the UN World Food Programme (WFP) Regional Director for West Africa, Denise Brown, says that the organization is committed to scaling up food assistance to people displaced by conflict in CAR.
8 August 2013
ROME – New Video of CAR for use by broadcasters can be downloaded here: LINK
8 March 2013
KINSHASA – Two United Nations agencies are stepping up efforts to assist refugees from the Central Africa Republic (CAR) who have fled into the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The UN agency for refugees, UNHCR, and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) have come together to assist the large numbers of people who have fled fighting between Seleka rebels and the CAR army since mid-December.
15 February 2013
BANGUI – According to a recent rapid food security assessment conducted by the United Nations and Non-Governmental Organizations, the political and military crisis of December 2012 and January 2013 could trigger a food crisis in the country.
- Worsened security leads to further displacement in Central African Republic Source: Xinhua News
- Today’s Central African Republic: It Really Doesn’t Get Much Worse Than This Source: The Ottawa Citizen (Canada)
- Hatred festers as Muslims and Christians suffer in Central African Republic Source: Irish Times
- WFP Chief Calls for Humanitarian Intervention in CAR Source: VOA News
- In Central African Republic, a ‘very desperate situation’ in makeshift camps Source: PBS NewsHour
- Central African Republic Situation Report #41 25 June 2014
- C.A.R. Regional Impact Situation Report #4 25 June 2014
- République du Congo - WFP/UNHCR Mission d'évaluation conjointe de la sécurité alimentaire et vulnérabilité des ménages de réfugiés provenant de la République Centrafricaine vivant dans le Département de la Likouala, Mai 2014
- Central African Republic - FAO/WFP Markets and Food Security Assessment Mission, April 2014