29 October 2013
Months of conflict in the Central African Republic have driven tens of thousands of people from their homes and farms, swelling the ranks of the hungry. WFP is providing food assistance to around 200,000 people at present and, in the western Bouar district, is distributing food rations to farmers to ensure they can still work in their fields and produce food.
15 August 2013
WFP provides vital food assistance in Central African Republic. It is scaling up operations to assist the most vulnerable populations caught up in a catastrophic situation.
21 September 2012
The feeling of hunger and neglect for many living in remote northeastern CAR has been growing over the past two years. The rainy season has made the area inaccessible and the transportation of food by road impossible. WFP has organized a series of airdrops to provide urgent relief to the isolated communities.
1 December 2011
WFP has been providing food at the Caritas health centre in the rural area of Bohong, Ouham Pende in the north-west of Central African Republic since 2006. The area was the scene of conflicts between armed political groups and the government as well as bandits, causing many people to leave their homes.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
4 January 2009
Asked to name her favourite subject at school, seven-year-old Guivinciane Nguinghaza's response is worth a thousand words. "My favourite subject is corn meal," she whispers through the fingers of one hand, while the other holds on to her father Emmanuel.
25 July 2007
Refugees fleeing Darfur are moving across the border into Central African Republic opening another front in the complex and deadly crisis, WFP spokesperson Marcus Prior reports.
8 February 2007
As crises across Africa continue to dominate the humanitarian agenda, WFP has warmly welcomed a contribution from Turkey of US$ 2 million, for its operations in eight countries where millions face daily food shortages due to drought, floods, disease or conflict.
30 November 2006
Fear and violence hold the people of the fertile Central African Republic hostage to hunger. Marcus Prior travels down a road of charred remains and looks at the great irony: how hunger and plenty can exist side by side.
10 May 2006
Deputy Foreign Minister Evripidis Stylianidis has announced a new donation of €1.2 million and signed an agreement with WFP reinforcing Greece’s increasing commitment to meet humanitarian needs around the globe.
- Worsened security leads to further displacement in Central African Republic Source: Xinhua News
- Today’s Central African Republic: It Really Doesn’t Get Much Worse Than This Source: The Ottawa Citizen (Canada)
- Hatred festers as Muslims and Christians suffer in Central African Republic Source: Irish Times
- WFP Chief Calls for Humanitarian Intervention in CAR Source: VOA News
- In Central African Republic, a ‘very desperate situation’ in makeshift camps Source: PBS NewsHour
- 2 February 2015 Bridging The Hunger Gap In A Divided City Of Bambari
- 24 October 2014 WFP River Convoy Carrying 1800 MT Of Rice Reaches Bangui
- 16 September 2014 Children Around The Globe Are Back At School, So Are WFP School Meals