18 October 2005
Thousands of refugees who have fled random banditry and violence in the Central African Republic (CAR) are in urgent need of international assistance as they gather in and around camps in neighbouring Chad, WFP warns.
14 September 2005
22 November 2004
Al Kufra, Libya For the first time, WFP is sending United States food assistance through Libya, along a humanitarian corridor across the Sahara desert, to reach nearly 200,000 Sudanese refugees in eastern Chad.
9 September 2004
Oure Cassoni Camp, Chad The first convoy of trucks carrying food aid for WFP across the Sahara desert arrives at a refugee camp in eastern Chad, ending a 2,800-kilometre journey from Libya\'s Mediterranean coast and opening up a new route to feed tens of thousands of Sudanese refugees.
28 August 2004
Al Kohfra, Libya A convoy of trucks carrying the first consignment of emergency food aid across the Sahara desert for Sudanese refugees in Chad leaves the Libyan town of Al Kohfra,. The delivery is part of a ground-breaking agreement between WFP and the Libyan government to help feed 1.4 million people displaced by fighting in Darfur, western Sudan.
20 July 2004
N\'djamena WFP warns that it would run out of food by the end of this month for 27,000 refugees from the Central African Republic (CAR) trapped in Chad, unless substantial contributions were made.
6 July 2004
Nairobi As the humanitarian crisis in Darfur and neighbouring Chad deepens by the day and the number of people suffering from conflict across western Sudan has almost doubled to two million, WFP appeals to the international community for urgent funding to expand its operations in both Sudan and Chad. At least one million people have been driven from their homes and farms by the fighting.
23 June 2004
N\'djamena WFP will be forced to halt its humanitarian air service from N\'djamena to eastern Chad next month at the height of the rainy season when the link is needed most unless new funding is urgently secured.
13 February 2004
N\'Djamena - WFP is to send an emergency airlift carrying critical relief supplies to Chad, where tens of thousands of Sudanese refugees are in need of assistance.
9 January 2004
N\'Djamena - WFP appeals for US$12 million to expand its special feeding in refugee camps in Chad to save tens of thousands of children under the age of five as well as pregnant and nursing women driven from their homes in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
- Chad struggles to cope with refugees from conflict in Central African Republic Source: The Guardian
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Chad PRRO 200289 Targeted Food Assistance for Refugees and Vulnerable People Affected by Malnutrition and Recurrent Food Crises (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- TChad - Evaluation de la Sécurité Alimentaire des ménages ruraux dans les zones sahélienne et soudanienne du Tchad, Novembre 2013