26 May 2009
Every year WFP has to get food to refugees in eastern Chad before the rainy season starts and it becomes impossible. That means taking scores of trucks on a hair-raising, 2,800-km journey through the Libyan desert. It's not for the faint-hearted. Watch video
7 May 2009
In Goz Beida, Eastern Chad, where new fighting has broken out between rebels and government forces, thousands of refugees from Darfur live in a large camp supported by WFP. Among them is 17-year-old Ekhbal, who yearns for a real home where she can be a normal teenager.
22 February 2008
The United Nations World Food Programme is providing a new round of food assistance to 20,000 Chadian refugees in northern Cameroon as they are transferred by the UN refugee agency from a transit site near the border to a camp.
11 December 2007
Countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
28 September 2007
WFP has welcomed US government contributions in September totaling US$110.7 million for the hungry poor in 11 countries from Latin America to Asia. Nearly half the resources were targeted to Sudan, home to WFP’s single-largest operation in the world.
1 August 2007
WFP thanked Japan for a generous US$26 million donation from the Government of Japan to assist millions of vulnerable people affected by conflict and natural disasters in seven countries, mainly in Africa.
6 July 2007
Ten countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
4 July 2007
In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
16 June 2007
WFP today welcomed France’s offer to airlift life-saving humanitarian assistance to a growing number of Sudanese refugees and displaced Chadians living in an increasingly precarious situation.
30 March 2007
The Government of the Netherlands has made its first-ever multi-year donation to WFP, committing Euro 27.2 million each year from 2007 until 2009.
- Chad struggles to cope with refugees from conflict in Central African Republic Source: The Guardian
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Chad PRRO 200289 Targeted Food Assistance for Refugees and Vulnerable People Affected by Malnutrition and Recurrent Food Crises (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- TChad - Evaluation de la Sécurité Alimentaire des ménages ruraux dans les zones sahélienne et soudanienne du Tchad, Novembre 2013