28 May 2010
Some 10 million people in the Sahel region of West-Central Africa risk going hungry as the summer lean season arrives on the heels of a long drought. WFP is stepping up operations in four countries of the Sahel, to ease the suffering of those hardest hit.
16 October 2009
"These portraits are the reason why we must not rest in the comfort of our freedom," said Bono after reading the poignant portraits in ‘Fragile: the Human Condition’, the new book by WFP’s Ambassador Against Hunger, Howard G Buffett.
26 May 2009
Every year WFP has to get food to refugees in eastern Chad before the rainy season starts and it becomes impossible. That means taking scores of trucks on a hair-raising, 2,800-km journey through the Libyan desert. It's not for the faint-hearted. Watch video
7 May 2009
In Goz Beida, Eastern Chad, where new fighting has broken out between rebels and government forces, thousands of refugees from Darfur live in a large camp supported by WFP. Among them is 17-year-old Ekhbal, who yearns for a real home where she can be a normal teenager.
22 February 2008
The United Nations World Food Programme is providing a new round of food assistance to 20,000 Chadian refugees in northern Cameroon as they are transferred by the UN refugee agency from a transit site near the border to a camp.
11 December 2007
Countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
28 September 2007
WFP has welcomed US government contributions in September totaling US$110.7 million for the hungry poor in 11 countries from Latin America to Asia. Nearly half the resources were targeted to Sudan, home to WFP’s single-largest operation in the world.
1 August 2007
WFP thanked Japan for a generous US$26 million donation from the Government of Japan to assist millions of vulnerable people affected by conflict and natural disasters in seven countries, mainly in Africa.
6 July 2007
Ten countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
4 July 2007
In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
- Chad struggles to cope with refugees from conflict in Central African Republic Source: The Guardian
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- Seasonal Monitor
- Annual Synthesis of Operations Evaluations (June 2013 - July 2014)
- Tchad - Etude des marchés des céréales en relation avec la sécurité alimentaire, les programmes de transferts monétaires et les achats locaux, Mars 2014
- Chad PRRO 200289 Targeted Food Assistance for Refugees and Vulnerable People Affected by Malnutrition and Recurrent Food Crises (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation