3 February 2014
Nearly 41,000 people have taken refuge in Chad following escalating violence in Central African Republic (CAR). While many new arrivals are Chadian, they return to an unfamiliar country and lack a strong support network. In the town of Goré, people staying at the local health center have come together to create an organizing committee and help the humanitarian community provide assistance to those who need it.
27 January 2014
More than 40,000 people have already crossed the border into Chad, fleeing conflict and violence in Central African Republic (CAR). While most are Chadian, many returnees have been living outside the country for years and no longer benefit from a strong support network. WFP is working quickly to respond to the situation and has already started distributing food at transit centres along the CAR-Chad border.
28 April 2013
The roads in the Sahel region of Chad often become impassable during the rainy season, cutting off farmers from their fields during the planting season. Working with a local NGO, WFP supported a food-for-work project to construct a bridge, overcoming logistical challenges due to flooding.
13 March 2013
Imagine urgently needing medical attention without available commercial airlines, only tracks running in the desert. Imagine trying to deliver life-saving humanitarian assistance with roadways rendered impassable from flooding.
29 October 2012
As families in the Sahel struggle to recover from this year’s hunger crisis, tens of millions of locusts threaten to swarm across the region devouring the new harvest. To ensure that doesn’t happen, WFP has airlifted insecticide to Mali and Chad in a joint operation with its sister agency, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization.
8 August 2012
6 July 2012
Getting food assistance to hungry people in Chad and other remote areas of Africa's Sahel region is hard at the best of times. And with the region now hit by a major hunger crisis, the pressure on WFP's logistics team is higher than ever. Some new mapping technology is providing welcome support.
29 June 2012
For the third time in a decade, drought in the Sahel region of Africa is threatening millions of people with hunger. But how do people survive in these situations and what are we doing to help them? Here are the answers to eight questions about the current hunger crisis in the Sahel and WFP's response to it.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
13 April 2012
In the Sahelian band of Chad, where pastures are extremely dry and harvests are poor after erratic rains, 1.2 million people will require emergency food assistance over the coming months.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa: After the drought, floods - and harvest worries Source: IRIN
- Chad PRRO 200289 Targeted Food Assistance for Refugees and Vulnerable People Affected by Malnutrition and Recurrent Food Crises (2012-2013): An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- TChad - Evaluation de la Sécurité Alimentaire des ménages ruraux dans les zones sahélienne et soudanienne du Tchad, Novembre 2013