1 September 2014
[Article in Spanish] There are several Departments in Colombia with chronic malnutrition rates of around 35%, in other words 4 out of 10 children are being affected. In indigenous communities the situation is more dramatic, where 7 out of 10 children suffers from chronic malnutrition.
1 September 2014
[Article in Spanish] This is a call to pregnant women regarding the importance of providing breast-feeding to their children for six months exclusively, in order to prevent malnutrition and infant mortality.
The Ministry of Health expressed the concern that, despite of the ongoing efforts, the indicators on the practice of breastfeeding is lower than the expected.
3 March 2014
WFP participated in the panel organized by the Bussiness Administration School -EAN in Bogota. The topic ofte the event was "Social Responsability to Overcome Poverty". WFP highlighted how partnerships with the private sector contribute to the fight against hunger though innovative collaboration and support.
11 February 2014
Enolfa Jiménez has encountered and faced adversity throughout her life, but has overcome. To consider having been displaced from her community 15 years ago, she has kept her dreams of success and always gives her best. That was how she became founder of “la Asociación de Familias Emprendedoras” (Association of Entrepreneurial families, ASOFEM). Enolfa spoke to us of her experience and of the key role played by the World Food Programme in her community.
3 February 2014
Un Radio interview with Riaz Lodhi, Deputy Director of WFP in Colombia, about the program to prevent and reduce anaemia in early childhood launched with the Ministry of Health and Social Protection.
27 January 2014
Colombia's Ministry of Health and WFP lauched the program to prevent and reduce anemia in children under two-years-old. This important inititative will be piloted in the departments of Bolivar and La Guajira in the North of Colombia, a region with high levels of anemia within this age group and a signicative indigenous and afrocolombian population. The first lady of Colombia, María Clemencia Rodríguez de Santos, participated in the event, as this program complements the strategy "From Zero to Forever" providing a comprehensive care strategy for Colombian children.
26 December 2013
On the 17th of December the second cohort of Food for Training came to an end in Neiva and the surrounding area. This program was led by the United Nations World Food Programme and in partnership with the Colombian Institute of Family Welfare (ICBF). The beneficiaries total to approximately 2,000 people who have been displaced due to armed conflict.
1 November 2013
Bogota, (Oct. 30/13). The Vice Minister for Multilateral Affairs, Carlos Arturo Morales, chaired a working lunch with thirteen international aid. The purpose of this meeting was to talk about the extension of the Protracted Relief and Recovery Operation (PRRO), implemented in Colombia by the World Food Programme (WFP), especially for indigenous and Afro-Colombian communities in the departments of Putumayo, Nariño, Cauca , Valle del Cauca, Chocó, Córdoba, La Guajira, Arauca, Tolima, Meta, Huila, Guaviare and Caquetá.
21 January 2013
The World Food Programme and the Colombian Ministry of Health plan to launch the first national contest to recognize and disseminate popular practices, habits and knowledge about health, nutrition and feeding. (..) According to Praveen Agrawal, WFP representative in Colombia, the goal of this activity is to “change the idea that food security can only improve through large and expensive programs.”
18 July 2012
Each year about 5,000 children in the Department will improve their nutrition, through a cooperation agreement signed between the Government of the Department of the Atlantic and the United Nations World Food Programme.
- Four out of ten children suffer from chronic malnutrition in Colombia Source: Bluradio
- Increasing Breastfeeding to prevent malnutrition: Ministry of Health Source: El Heraldo (Colombia)
- WFP Participates in Social Responsability Panel Source: Corresponsables.com
- Colombia: Displaced, Founder, and Entrepreneur Source: World Food Program
- UN Radio Interviews WFP Colombia Deputy Director Source: anaemia
- WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response in Latin America and the Caribbean
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance -Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance - Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- Ecuador - UNHCR/WFP Joint Mission for the Revison and Re-Evaluation of the Relief And Recovery Operation in Favor of Colombian Refugees in Ecuador, July 2011
- 27 August 2014 Colombia: Improving Food Security in La Guajira
- 26 April 2013 WFP Executive Director Visits Panama
- 24 October 2012 WFP Country Directors Hold Regional Meeting in Colombia