27 June 2013
ROME/VATICAN CITY – His Holiness Pope Francis this morning granted a private audience to Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). The meeting took place immediately upon Cousin’s return from Syria and following her recent visit to Israel and Palestine.
17 June 2013
Ecuador hosts the largest number of refugees in the western hemisphere. They are mostly Colombians, like Carmen and her family, who are struggling to make even enough money to survive. WFP works with other UN agencies and local governments to assist them.
7 March 2013
Maryelly Layton was seven months pregnant when she had to flee her community as a result of violence. Because of her precarious conditions, her baby was born prematurely, but thanks to its strength and WFP’s food Maryelly has recovered and also feed her baby.
15 November 2012
Five UN agencies, singer Santiago Cruz, UNDP Goodwill Ambassador for the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), and the Government of Colombia organized a fair to showcase local experiences on the issue of food security and nutrition in the Chocó.
19 July 2012
BOGOTA-The World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Department of the Atlantic have decided to work together to combine efforts and resources to support a food and nutrition plan of the Atlantic, seeking to combat food insecurity and undernutrition in that department.
18 July 2012
As a child Inka Himanen dreamt of going on expeditions to the jungles of the Amazon to explore the exotic wildlife. She never became a wildlife explorer, but she did get to see the jungles of South America. Inka today works as a programme officer for the United Nations World Food Programme ( WFP) in Colombia providing food assistance for the internally displaced people ( IDPs)affected by internal conflict. We asked her about her work for WFP in Colombia – here are her answers.
3 April 2012
The purpose of the Governor’s mission was to learn about WFP’s experiences in dealing with emergencies in the Latin America and Caribbean region. The Governor aims to establish an Emergency Operations Centre in Barranquilla to assist vulnerable populations living in the Caribbean coast of Colombia in case of disasters.
5 January 2012
The online quiz game Freerice crossed another milestone today with the addition of its one millionth registered player. The game, which allows players to raise rice for the hungry with every correct answer, has provided meals to almost 5 million people since launching in 2007.
30 November 2011
WFP and KONAMI Digital Entertainment have teamed up to create an online game with a real-world impact. Food Force puts players at the helm of the world’s largest humanitarian aid agency. It combines the multiplayer fun of other popular social media games with the ability to provide real meals to hungry children around the globe. Start playing Food Force!
23 November 2011
In Colombia, WFP assists many victims of sexual and gender-based violence, providing them with food assistance as they recover. As part of her work for WFP, Mariangela Bizzarri recently visited a town on Colombia's Pacific coast to meet some of these women and to assess the impact of the violence they have experienced. She sent us this personal account of one day of meetings.
- WFP Participates in Social Responsability Panel Source: Corresponsables.com
- Colombia: Displaced, Founder, and Entrepreneur Source: World Food Program
- UN Radio Interviews WFP Colombia Deputy Director Source: anaemia
- WFP and the Ministry of Health launched a program to reduce anemia in children from 6 to 24 months Source: El Tiempo
- Food for Training for Displaced Persons Source: Tu Semanario (Colombia)
- WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response in Latin America and the Caribbean
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance -Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance - Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- Ecuador - UNHCR/WFP Joint Mission for the Revison and Re-Evaluation of the Relief And Recovery Operation in Favor of Colombian Refugees in Ecuador, July 2011
- 26 April 2013 WFP Executive Director Visits Panama
- 24 October 2012 WFP Country Directors Hold Regional Meeting in Colombia
- 25 September 2012 WFP Executive Board visit to Colombia