6 August 2012
In Bukavu, WFP supports a program that helps former child soldiers lead a normal life again.
26 July 2012
In Rwanda, refugees fleeing violence in eastern DR Congo receive assistance from the World Food Programme
25 July 2012
At Mugunga camp, outside Goma, the World Food Programme now provides assistance to people displaced by conflict through vouchers, which can be exchanged for food at the local market.
28 June 2012
The eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo is experiencing a new wave of violence that has forced tens of thousands of civilians to flee their homes in North and South Kivu, Orientale province, and in the north of Katanga. As of mid-June, at least 400,000 people were displaced in the eastern part of DRC alone. Thousands more have sought refuge in Rwanda and Uganda.
1 June 2012
Cash & vouchers in the Democratic Republic of Congo stimulate local economies and reinforce social integration. Bargaining over food prices and the interaction between the displaced and host populations in the market contribute to building social cohesion in communities fractured by years of conflict.
20 April 2012
KIBUMBA, Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo - In North Kivu, the World Food Programme feeds the hungry but also contributes to the protection of the environment and creates jobs through a recycling project.
19 April 2012
A mother of nine, Josiane Matchirucha has not been displaced but, still, she is among the most affected by population displacement. Five families have sought shelter in her home. Now, forty people live under her roof, eat at her table and share her toilet.
5 March 2012
P4P - an innovative scheme designed to promote the interests of small holders - has turned around the life of one famer in the Demcratic Republic of Congo. Now others want to follow his example.
7 October 2011
It was in the evening, almost at nightfall, the young girl was going home to her grandmother’s as her parents were separated. On the way, four men abducted her.
One of them raped her, while the others watched, after that they told her she was free to go. When she managed to get back to her grandmother’s place a few hours later, in tears, she told her everything.
24 June 2011
WFP congratulates Murhabazi Namebage on winning the World’s Children’s Prize, an educational programme for young people about the rights of the child, democracy and global friendship.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- 6 March 2014 Food Assistance to CAR Refugees in Northern DRC
- 4 December 2013 WFP Forced To Cut Food Assistance In DR Congo
- 3 December 2013 Thousands Forced From Homes In South Irumu, DR Congo