3 December 2012
An upsurge of fighting in Eastern Congo has forced thousands of families to flee their homes, leaving them with little access to food. WFP, which was already feeding nearly half a million displaced people in the North Kivu province, is responding to the new needs with food distributions in and around the city of Goma.
27 November 2012
In eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, thousands of people are on the move, balancing their belongings on their heads or on chukudus, the local wooden scooters. They pack the roads of North and South Kivu, fleeing the newest wave of violence spreading across the region. WFP is working around the clock to ensure the most destitute have enough to eat.
16 November 2012
A week before armed groups seized the city of Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Web Editor Martin Penner visited the region to see how WFP is helping some two million people who'd fled their homes to escape the fighting. His tweets help to illustrate how those operations work and why it's so important for them to resume as soon as the security situation allows.
16 November 2012
Join WFP Web Editor Martin Penner in the Democratic Republic of the Congo for a live-tweet up Friday 16 November at 11:00am New York / 4:00pm London. After a week-long trip to the region, Martin will be answering your questions about the humanitarian crisis brewing in one of the largest countries in Africa.
14 November 2012
While visiting families fleeing violence in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, WFP Web Editor Martin Penner met a woman named Liberata, who agreed to take some questions from our supporters on Facebook. Here is what she said.
6 August 2012
In Bukavu, WFP supports a program that helps former child soldiers lead a normal life again.
26 July 2012
In Rwanda, refugees fleeing violence in eastern DR Congo receive assistance from the World Food Programme
25 July 2012
At Mugunga camp, outside Goma, the World Food Programme now provides assistance to people displaced by conflict through vouchers, which can be exchanged for food at the local market.
28 June 2012
The eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo is experiencing a new wave of violence that has forced tens of thousands of civilians to flee their homes in North and South Kivu, Orientale province, and in the north of Katanga. As of mid-June, at least 400,000 people were displaced in the eastern part of DRC alone. Thousands more have sought refuge in Rwanda and Uganda.
1 June 2012
Cash & vouchers in the Democratic Republic of Congo stimulate local economies and reinforce social integration. Bargaining over food prices and the interaction between the displaced and host populations in the market contribute to building social cohesion in communities fractured by years of conflict.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- WFP Regional Impact of the C.A.R. Crisis Situation Report #17, 30 August 2015
- WFP DRC Burundi Refugee Assistance Situation Report #15, 26 August 2015
- Fact sheet : P4P in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- WFP Fact sheet on regional emergency operation to assist Central Africa Republic refugees in Democratic Republic of Congo