20 May 2009
WFP has started air dropping food into Dungu in the north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to reach more than 130,000 displaced people and their host families who have been cut off by heavy seasonal rains.
8 April 2009
Route Nationale 3 is a lifeline for thousands of people who depend on WFP for food. It’s also a kidney-bruising, stomach-churning morass of hills, holes, greasy mud and rickety bridges. Take a look
18 March 2009
Five months ago the son of a WFP food aid monitor was kidnapped by the Lord’s Resistance Army. Without any warning, on March 16, the boy hobbled onto the airstrip in Dungu where his father was working.
4 March 2009
The United Nations Secretary General, on a visit to a WFP-assisted camp for displaced people in eastern Congo, was encouraged by the news that – thanks to improved security in the region -- many families are returning to their homes.
27 February 2009
After months in a camp for displaced people, the Shamamba family is returning to the home that it was forced to abandon amid last autumn's upsurge in fighting. WFP food kept the family going in the camp and will help now that it's going home.
19 February 2009
Ennock Bigumba is a driver for WFP in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. He also works as a translator for WFP’s international staff on the ground. Caroline Hurford traveled with him on a recent mission for WFP.
13 January 2009
Amani was kidnapped when he was 11 and for the next two years he was a child soldier, shooting his rifle in whatever direction he was told to. Now, at a WFP-supported centre in Goma, he is learning to be a normal adolescent.
24 December 2008
A UN convoy loaded with humanitarian supplies staggered into the town of Dungu on Monday after an 11-day, 700-kilometre, churn through swampy mud into the strife-torn northeast corner of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
22 December 2008
Dungu, DRC, 22 December 2008 - Life has improved in the town of Dungu, in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, since WFP carried out a food distribution here in mid-December. Until then, Dungu was one of the war-ravaged corners of the country that simply had to fend for itself.
17 December 2008
From start to finish, 2008 was one of the most challenging in the World Food Programme’s history. The impact of high food prices, followed by the global financial downtown have placed extra strains on WFP’s work, and the lives of the almost 100 million people we aim to feed next year.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- WFP Regional Impact of the C.A.R. Crisis Situation Report #17, 30 August 2015
- WFP DRC Burundi Refugee Assistance Situation Report #15, 26 August 2015
- Fact sheet : P4P in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- WFP Fact sheet on regional emergency operation to assist Central Africa Republic refugees in Democratic Republic of Congo