9 December 2008
by Lydia Wamala Ishasha/Mutanda, 9 December 2008 - “Stop, stop!” a man calls out, bringing to a halt a bus that's just moved off. “A passenger has boarded without her firewood!” he pants. “She will need it -- someone pass it to her.”
2 December 2008
Goma, 2 December 2008 - WFP is ramping up its humanitarian operation in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo in response to conflict between armed groups, government forces, and Laurent Nkunda’s rebel movement that has forced hundreds of thousands of people from their homes.
2 December 2008
Goma, 2 December 2008 - When Peter Schaller, operations officer for WFP logistics in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), arrived at his duty station in Goma,in October, he had no illusions about the tasks ahead of him. The logistical challenge of working in a landlocked region nearly as big as France – with poor infrastructure and barely functioning local authorities – was about to get much worse.
25 November 2008
Goma, 25 November 2008 - Hundreds of thousands of people in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo are on the move, fleeing conflict that has disrupted their lives for more than a decade. Many of those who have been forced to abandon their homes are hungry, sick or wounded. Others have been harassed or raped, as well as having their belongings stolen.
24 November 2008
Goma, 24 November 2008 - Despite persistent insecurity and heavy rains affecting road conditions, WFP is continuing to build on its delivery of food assistance to around 400,000 people in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
24 November 2008
Rome, 24 November 2008 - WFP is increasing its food distributions, not only in the six camps for displaced people near the regional capital, Goma, but also in three camps to the north-west, in territory held by Laurent Nkunda's rebels.
18 November 2008
Goma, 18 November 2008 - WFP is stepping up food distributions in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo with plans to reach nearly 100,000 displaced people around the city of Goma and in territory further north, which is controlled by rebel leader Laurent Nkunda.
14 November 2008
Goma, 14 November 2008 - The latest from the WFP team in Goma, eastern DRC:
13 November 2008
Goma, 13 November 2008 - It was spookily quiet as the UN World Food Programme vehicles moved forward. One second we had left the Congolese army behind, the next we were in an empty no-man’s land. To the left rose the perfect volcanic cone of Mount Nyiragongo, as if watching us all.
12 November 2008
Goma, 12 November 2008 - The latest from the WFP team in Goma, eastern DRC:
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- WFP Regional Impact of the C.A.R. Crisis Situation Report #12, 19 March 2015
- DRC Fact sheet March 2015
- mVAM: piloting mobile voice technology for household food security data collection
- Democratic Republic of Congo - mVAM Bulletin 7: Post Harvest Improvement in Household Food Security Halts, February 2015