18 November 2008
Goma, 18 November 2008 - WFP is stepping up food distributions in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo with plans to reach nearly 100,000 displaced people around the city of Goma and in territory further north, which is controlled by rebel leader Laurent Nkunda.
14 November 2008
Goma, 14 November 2008 - The latest from the WFP team in Goma, eastern DRC:
13 November 2008
Goma, 13 November 2008 - It was spookily quiet as the UN World Food Programme vehicles moved forward. One second we had left the Congolese army behind, the next we were in an empty no-man’s land. To the left rose the perfect volcanic cone of Mount Nyiragongo, as if watching us all.
12 November 2008
Goma, 12 November 2008 - The latest from the WFP team in Goma, eastern DRC:
10 November 2008
Goma, 10 November 2008 - The latest from the WFP team in Goma, eastern DRC:
6 November 2008
Charles Vincent was WFP’s Country Director in DRC until a few weeks ago. In this interview he talks about the situation in DRC now and the background to it. He spoke with us in Geneva, where he now heads the WFP liaison office to the UN.
3 November 2008
WFP on Monday took part in a multi-agency overnight assessment mission to Rutshuru town and outlying areas. The mission was expected to return to Goma on Tuesday. The results of the assessment will inform WFP’s response over the next few days.
28 October 2008
These are troubled times in eastern Congo. Violent clashes since late August in the hinterland outside the provincial capital may have displaced as many as 200,000 people and have now resulted in temporary no-go zones for humanitarian deliveries.
16 July 2008
This is the world of the displaced in North Kivu, a mesmerising sweep of volcanoes of lakes in eastern Congo, but also the home to human suffering on a catastrophic scale as violence continues to force thousands from their homes.
6 December 2007
An upsurge in fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic Province of North Kivu forces the World Food Programme (WFP) to suspend all movement outside the provincial capital Goma, threatening aid deliveries to some 335,000 displaced people, writes spokesperson Marcus Prior.
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- Aid Workers Struggle To Provide Services In Congo Source: NPR
- Heavy clashes in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo as rebels enter Goma Source: CNN
- DRC: Thousands of displaced out of reach Source: IRIN
- 22 April 2013 Land of Bounty in South East of DRC
- 3 January 2013 Families In DR Congo Return Home As Violence Subsides
- 22 December 2012 Home After The Fighting In Eastern DR Congo