6 December 2007
An upsurge in fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic Province of North Kivu forces the World Food Programme (WFP) to suspend all movement outside the provincial capital Goma, threatening aid deliveries to some 335,000 displaced people, writes spokesperson Marcus Prior.
28 September 2007
WFP has welcomed US government contributions in September totaling US$110.7 million for the hungry poor in 11 countries from Latin America to Asia. Nearly half the resources were targeted to Sudan, home to WFP’s single-largest operation in the world.
19 September 2007
From West to East, some 1.5 million people have been caught in Africa's worst floods in decades. Use our quick guide to see how WFP is responding, region by region, country by country.
13 September 2007
The fragile peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been shaken by fresh fighting. WFP spokesperson Marcus Prior reports from the city of Goma in eastern DRC where tens of thousands of people have fled the unrest.
7 September 2007
Rugby-World-Cup-winning captain Nick Farr-Jones describes how sports people around the world should have a natural empathy towards hungry people caught up in the world's humanitarian crises. This editorial first appeared in the South China Morning Post
27 July 2007
WFP has welcomed contributions of $104 million from the US government this month to feed the hungry poor in 15 countries.
6 July 2007
Ten countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
4 July 2007
In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
4 June 2007
WFP today welcomed a €5 million contribution from the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO) that has staved off new cuts in rations for 273,000 refugees in Tanzanian camps.
24 April 2007
Martha was raped in a violent attack in DRC. She also suffered terrible burns when her hut caught fire. She doesn’t know where her husband is. She has one surviving child.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- 22 July 2014 Searching for Safety in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 27 June 2014 WFP Calling: What Did You Eat Today?
- 10 June 2014 Supporting Victims Of Sexual Violence In DR Congo