19 August 2013
From WFP Executive Director Ertharin Cousin
ROME – In 2003, the world mourned when 22 people lost their lives in an attack on the United Nations office in Baghdad, Iraq. Ten years later, we still mourn all too often for humanitarian workers killed in the line of duty. Many more are injured, detained, kidnapped, traumatized and otherwise prevented from carrying out their life-saving work.
19 June 2013
LA LIBERTAD -The World Food Programme (WFP) Representative in Ecuador, Deborah Hines, visited communities in Santa Elena with a Provincial Government team in order to discuss details about the project aimed at improving the nutrition of children from 6 up to 36 months of vulnerable families in Santa Elena.
13 June 2013
Ecuador is vulnerable to natural disasters, including heavy rainfalls and floods, volcanic eruptions, wildfires and seismic disturbances. To improve preparedness for potential emergencies, especially related to food security and resilience, the National Risk Management Secretariat (SNGR) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) signed in June a two-year work plan.
21 May 2013
Over 240 delegates from 37 countries are coming together in Costa do Sauípe, Brazil, to exchange experiences and debate options for developing sustainable national school feeding programmes in the Global Child Nutrition Forum 2013. It is the 15th edition of the meeting and it’s the first time that it occurs outside Africa or the United States. The Forum opens this Monday, 20 May, and will conclude on 24 May.
1 May 2013
PANAMA CITY –Latin America and the Caribbean countries have made significant progress in tackling hunger and malnutrition, reducing the number of hungry by 16 million over a decade, but much work still remains to be done, said the Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme, Ertharin Cousin.
17 April 2013
TEGUCIGALPA – The National Systems of Risk Management from Central American countries today began a series of simulation exercises to respond to emergencies and disasters in order to help strengthen their coordination processes and joint operation of humanitarian assistance for affected populations. These processes anticipate the participation of government institutions and national and international humanitarian actors.
21 March 2013
ROME – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced today that it will provide technical support to the Government of Mexico’s efforts to eradicate hunger and malnutrition through its newly created “National Crusade against Hunger”.
21 February 2013
On the occasion of her visit to Esmeraldas and the seat of the Municipal Autonomous Government, the WFP Representative in Ecuador, Deborah Hines, in a meeting with Mayor Ernesto Estupiñán, informed about novel joint work modalities favoring the most vulnerable people, which begin this year.
5 December 2012
Following UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon's initiative “Unite to end violence against women”, UN Women, UNICEF and WFP have begun a campaign in Ecuador to raise public awareness that gender violence is neither natural nor acceptable, although in Ecuador it is still commonplace.
29 June 2012
The agreement signed by WFP with the Government of Pichincha will contribute to enhance local capabilities to improve food and nutrition security, including diet diversification for children and vulnerable groups.
- Authorities Celebrate World Humanitarian Day Source: La Hora (Ecuador)
- Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: the Huffington Post
- UN World Food Programme in Ecuador: Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: Huffington Post blog
- Papllacta Vulnerable to Climate Change According to Atlas Source: El Comercio
- Ecuador: 5 Communities Protect the Moorlands of the Imbabura Province Source: By Grupo El Comercio
- Transfers and Gender - A mixed methods study of the effect of cash, vouchers and food transfers on intra-household relations and intimate partner violence
- Ecuador: WFP Annual Report 2013
- Ecuador: Assistance to Refugees and Persons Affected by Colombian Conflict
- WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 25 April 2014 Charley Anderson sings for women’s rights in Ecuador
- 24 December 2013 Ecuador: ECHO Delegation Visits Refugees in the Northern Border