30 May 2012
An international study conducted in Ecuador to evaluate three food assistance modalities –cash, vouchers and food—among vulnerable populations found that vouchers have several advantages over cash transfers or direct food delivery.
3 April 2012
Ecuador’s National Institute of Hydrology and Meteorology announced that 2012 will be a very tough year for the country weather wise. The forecast: unusual heavy rains, especially for the coast and in provinces of the Andes, like Carchi.
15 March 2012
Canada helps finance WFP distribution of food rations and vouchers to Colombian refugees and vulnerable Ecuadorian families.
5 January 2012
The online quiz game Freerice crossed another milestone today with the addition of its one millionth registered player. The game, which allows players to raise rice for the hungry with every correct answer, has provided meals to almost 5 million people since launching in 2007.
30 November 2011
WFP and KONAMI Digital Entertainment have teamed up to create an online game with a real-world impact. Food Force puts players at the helm of the world’s largest humanitarian aid agency. It combines the multiplayer fun of other popular social media games with the ability to provide real meals to hungry children around the globe. Start playing Food Force!
18 November 2010
6 March 2009
Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, droughts… nothing anyone can do will prevent them. But a lot can be done to reduce their impact – especially if there’s an early warning.
13 March 2007
A contribution of more than US$395,000 from the Government of Spain to WFP will allow the UN agency to continue providing humanitarian assistance to almost 8,000 Colombian nationals in Ecuador who have fled the conflict in their home country.
31 August 2006
WFP will distribute food rations among 25,000 people in the Andean region of Ecuador after the Tungurahua volcano –130 km south of the capital – erupted on 16 August leaving more than 100,000 people affected in six provinces.
22 March 2006
WFP in collaboration with the Ecuadoran Government will provide food rations to help 5,000 families affected by recent heavy flooding along parts of Ecuador’s coast.
- Ecuador: 5 Communities Protect the Moorlands of the Imbabura Province Source: By Grupo El Comercio
- The economics of food subsidies: Feeding expectations Source: The Economist
- Why Food Vouchers Are a Policy Worth Considering in Developing Countries Source: The Economist
- Santa Elena Provincial Government and WFP start food and nutrition security project Source: Santa Elena Provincial Government (Ecuador)
- WFP Signs Agreement With Imbabura Authorities In Ecuador Source: Provincial Government Website (Ecuador)
- 24 December 2013 Ecuador: ECHO Delegation Visits Refugees in the Northern Border
- 8 November 2013 A Fun Nutrition Fair in Quito
- 16 October 2013 ECHO Visits Colombian Refugees in the Ecuadorian Northern Border