5 January 2012
The online quiz game Freerice crossed another milestone today with the addition of its one millionth registered player. The game, which allows players to raise rice for the hungry with every correct answer, has provided meals to almost 5 million people since launching in 2007.
27 June 2010
Hurricane Ida left behind a trail of destruction when it slammed into El Salvador last November. In the town of Monte San Juan, women’s groups are spearheading the reconstruction effort with the help of a programme that keeps their families fed. The project has helped women like Carmen Perez become community leaders.
10 November 2009
WFP estimates that as many as 10,000 people in El Salvador will need urgent food assistance in the coming days after heavy rains swept across the country, leaving more than 100 people dead and causing extensive damage.
9 July 2009
Norma López, 33, last sent money home to her mother in early 2008. That last ‘remittance’ was US$60 -- US$40 less than what she used to send. Amid the economic downturn in the United States, her housekeeping work was cut from six hours a day to two.
24 March 2009
Orbelina, a single mother in El Salvador, recently took her daughter out of school because she needed help earning enough money to put food on the table for the family. It's a common story among the poor in Central America.
24 March 2009
To cope with the food crisis, poor families often buy less food and less nutritious food. A WFP study shows that this brings a major health risk for children.
6 March 2009
Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, droughts… nothing anyone can do will prevent them. But a lot can be done to reduce their impact – especially if there’s an early warning.
26 February 2008
Global food prices are rising, putting even basic commodities beyond the reach of the world's poorest people. WFP spokesperson Trevor Rowe says the most vulnerable people in Central America have been hit hard by economic forces beyond their control.
2 August 2007
WFP has praised The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for its decision to allocate a set amount of its humanitarian budget to improving emergency preparedness in developing countries.
27 July 2007
WFP has welcomed contributions of $104 million from the US government this month to feed the hungry poor in 15 countries.
- Anastasia Torres : Working for Her Community with the Hand of WFP in EL Salvador Source: www.trust.org
- La Prensa- El Salvador- Coffee Rust Causes Hunger for Coffee Pickers [In Spanish] Source: LA PRENSA
- Supporting Cooperatives to Access Markets Source: Local
- Support cooperatives to access markets Source: Local
- El Salvador: Nourishing Cacaopera Source: Local
- 11 September 2013 Third Puch Marathon in El Salvador
- 26 April 2013 WFP Executive Director Visits Panama
- 21 December 2012 El Salvador: An Innovative Education Strategy
- 5 December 2012 Nourishing El Salvador Helps Fight Chronic Undernutrition