8 September 2010
Purchase for Progress is changing the way smallholder farmers do business in Ethiopia.
24 June 2010
ADDIS ABABA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today officially launched the Purchase for Progress (P4P) initiative in Ethiopia. Through the project financed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, WFP plans to support almost 70,000 smallholder farmers by purchasing some 126,000 metric tons of food over the next five years.
20 April 2010
ADDIS ABABA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of US$23 million from the European Commission through the Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid (ECHO), to support food assistance for 2.3 million vulnerable people in the country.
24 November 2009
JOHANNESBURG – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of R3 million (US$400,000) from the Government of South Africa, which will help the agency to feed thousands of hungry families in the Horn of Africa region.
19 November 2009
ROME – Spain’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Soraya Rodriguez Ramos, today announced a donation of €75 million (US$112m) to the United Nations World Food Programme in response to the critical hunger situation in the Horn of Africa.
9 June 2009
22 September 2008
WFP today appealed for US$460 million to feed 9.6 million hungry people affected by drought and high food prices in Ethiopia through to March next year.
7 March 2008
WFP is expanding operations to reach 4.6 million people in Ethiopia with emergency food assistance, in response to the government’s urgent appeal for food and nutrition assistance to avoid hunger-related deaths in coming months.
4 January 2008
Amid international concern about soaring food and fuel costs, the Executive Director of the World Food Programme, Josette Sheeran, will visit Ethiopia from 1-2 April – a year after her inaugural visit in April 2007 – and Kenya from 2-3 April.
20 November 2007
Under the auspices of the Royal Court, the United Nations World Food Programme has been discussing this week with the authorities of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ways to further strengthen their humanitarian partnership to help feed the hungry poor around the world.
- UNHCR, WFP chiefs due in Ethiopia Source: Turkish Press
- Humanitarian crisis looms as refugees from South Sudan pour into Ethiopia Source: The Guardian
- Elimination of hunger in our lifetime can be a reality Source: The Irish Times
- UN Utilizing Financial Inclusion Programs to Fight Rural Poverty Source: VOA News
- Delegates highlight rural poor financial inclusion service access Source: The Ethiopian Herald
- 11 December 2013 Why Financial Inclusion Is Key To Ethiopia's Fight Against Hunger
- 10 December 2013 UN Agencies Link Ethiopian Farmers To School Meals Programs
- 15 March 2013 WFP Ethiopia in Pictures