9 August 2006
A flood in the eastern Ethiopian city of Dire Dawa has swept away homes, killing over 200 people and displacing many more. Melese Awoke looks at the impact of the disaster on one woman’s life.
30 March 2006
When the rains don’t come and the harvests fail, families in Ethiopia go hungry. However, the world's first humanitarian insurance policy, an initiative spearheaded by WFP, the World Bank and the Ethiopian Government, offers a glimmer of hope to poor families in the country.
13 March 2006
22 February 2006
As the drought affecting the Horn of Africa intensifies,WFP has warmly welcomed a contribution from Ireland of 2.5 million euros, nearly US$3 million, for WFP’s operations in the drought-hit Horn of Africa, where 6.25 million people are running out of food because of the failure of the last rains.
1 February 2006
An online charity auction of athletics memorabilia staged by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) raises over US$30,000 for WFP, the UN Children's Fund UNICEF and the Food and Agriculture Organization.
13 September 2005
5 September 2005
12 April 2005
Addis Ababa, 12 April 2005 - The future of three million Ethiopians in need of food aid is in jeopardy, with malnutrition rates on the rise and funding for humanitarian operations in Ethiopia drying up, WFP has warned.
- UNHCR, WFP chiefs due in Ethiopia Source: Turkish Press
- Humanitarian crisis looms as refugees from South Sudan pour into Ethiopia Source: The Guardian
- Elimination of hunger in our lifetime can be a reality Source: The Irish Times
- UN Utilizing Financial Inclusion Programs to Fight Rural Poverty Source: VOA News
- Delegates highlight rural poor financial inclusion service access Source: The Ethiopian Herald
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists