2 May 2014
In Guinea-Bissau, nearly 15,000 children suffer from acute malnutrition across the country. With financial support from the Central Emergency Relief Fund (CERF), WFP has started distributions of supplementary nutritious foods in nutrition centres to help prevent chronic malnutrition. The intervention is part of a broader joint emergency programme, implemented by WFP in partnership with UNICEF, FAO and WHO.
Through the country’s national public health centres network, approximately 55,000 children—representing half of children aged 6 to 23 months across the country—will receive daily rations of Plumpy Doz for a period of three months (March to May 2014). Health service providers register the children receiving food and produce monthly reports on the progress of distributions.
30 November 2012
25 years ago Sister Valeria Amato moved from Sicily to Guinea-Bissau and has since dedicated her life to providing nutritional assistance to people living with HIV and tuberculosis.
24 August 2012
In Guinea-Bissau WFP continues to provide school meals under a collaborative program with UNICEF to continue class-like activities during the summer months.
17 April 2012
Through the Gender Innovation Project, WFP Guinea-Bissau is supporting women’s farming associations in the regions of Bafata and Oio. In exchange for part of their fresh produce, which goes towards WFP school meals in 16 schools, WFP gives farming equipment to the women.
15 September 2011
In early September, WFP nutrition focal points and their government counterparts from 18 countries across West Africa gathered in Dakar for a four-day workshop.
30 March 2011
As WFP works toward a handover of its School Feeding programme in Guinea-Bissau, Pacua Primary School shows the successes of the programme. Thanks to daily school meals, now more than half of the students are girls.
8 June 2007
For villagers nestled in Guinea Bissau's mangrove swamps, WFP's canoes bearing food are a welcome sight when stocks run low. Hilary Heuler looks at how WFP Logistics adapt to any terrain so they can help the hungry.
10 May 2006
Deputy Foreign Minister Evripidis Stylianidis has announced a new donation of €1.2 million and signed an agreement with WFP reinforcing Greece’s increasing commitment to meet humanitarian needs around the globe.
12 January 2006
WFP today welcomed a donation of 400,000 Euros (US$471,000) from the Government of Greece to WFP’s relief operation for nearly 400,000 victims of a much-overlooked conflict in the West African state of Guinea-Bissau.
- Hunger warning for Guinea-Bissau as cashew price dips Source: IRIN News
- Urgent food aid to G.Bissau stalled due to lacking funds: UN Source: Global Post
- Gender Innovation Fund Supports Women Farmers in Guinea-Bissau Source: Alertnet
- Guinea-Bissau: Falling through the assistance cracks? Source: IRIN
- Seasonal Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- Guinea Bissau PRRO 200526 Nutrition and livelihoods support to the vulnerable population: A mid-term Operation Evaluation
- Note conjointe FAO/PAM sur la sécurité alimentaire en Afrique de l'Ouest et au Sahel, n°53, Février 2014
- 3 April 2013 WFP Nutrition Activities In Guinea-Bissau