13 June 2014
As WFP launches a new approach to school feeding in Guinea, the country’s First Lady has called on the private sector and parliamentary groups to invest in the school meals programme. This renewed support reinforces WFP’s efforts to develop a sustainable, nationally-owned programme in the country.
5 March 2014
The last few years have been difficult for the “Sultans,” a group of women farmers from the small village of Sountoudiana in Northeast Guinea. Harvests have barely been enough to feed their families, especially during the lean season, and the region suffers from high levels of food insecurity and low enrolment rates. With support from WFP, however, the group has tripled crop yields and doubled membership. Today the Sultans are supplying local school canteens and selling their surplus locally, in the process building the resilience of the entire community.
19 January 2014
While she was pregnant with her first child, Djamilatou was told she was HIV positive. It was a huge shock and it left her reeling. But a friend advised her to go to a WFP-supported clinic and, as a result of following that advice, she now has two healthy children and is preparing for a return to the world of work.
27 July 2011
Pandemics and large-scale disasters pose specific challenges to humanitarian emergency operations, especially in urban areas. Through a recent one-week pandemic simulation, WFP aimed to prepare countries in West Africa to face these challenges so that they can better assist vulnerable populations.
25 May 2007
WFP has welcomed a €500,000 contribution from the European Commission Humanitarian Aid department, ECHO, for the agency’s vital air service in support of its operations in Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Cote d’Ivoire.
19 March 2007
WFP has welcomed an announcement by the Government of Japan that it intends to donate US$5.7 million (JPY 670 million) to assist more than 1.5 million chronically hungry people in three of Africa’s least developed countries: Somalia, Guinea, and Sao Tome and Principe.
1 March 2007
From Afghanistan to Sudan, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these hotspots with WFP's weekly operational priorities update.
23 February 2007
From Afghanistan to Sudan, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these crisis hotspots with WFP's weekly operational priorities update.
19 February 2007
WFP has thanked the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for a US$1 million donation to its operations in Guinea, where humanitarian needs have been accentuated as a result of the current unrestthat comes at a time when many people are struggling with loss of income and growing poverty rates.
14 February 2007
From Afghanistan to Haiti, WFP is on the frontline of crises across the globe. Find out the latest from these crisis hotspots with WFP's operation update.
- Japan gives Guinea US$5.8 million for health Source: Afrique En Ligne
- GUINEA: Climbing out of the donor funding gap Source: IRIN
- UN to Shutdown Critical Air Service to West Africa Source: VOA News (USA)
- Guinea’s humanitarian flights may be grounded Source: Afrol News
- Guinea: Child malnutrition - moving beyond stop-gaps Source: IRIN
- Seasonal Monitor
- Guinea - mVAM Bulletin #11: Borders reopened but negative coping levels remained high, January 2015
- Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - mVAM Regional Bulletin #3: Households are using fewer negative coping strategies in Freetown and Monrovia, January 2015
- Impact of West Africa Ebola Outbreak on Food Security and Staple Food Prices
- 30 October 2014 How WFP Supports Ebola Response In Guinea