5 March 2012
Students concerned about worldwide hunger met in Honduras last weekend for a summit organised by Universities Fighting World Hunger. At the forefront of the discussion was Honduras's own National School Feeding program, which reaches close to 1.5 million children per year. The programme constitutes the largest safety-net in the country.
5 January 2012
The online quiz game Freerice crossed another milestone today with the addition of its one millionth registered player. The game, which allows players to raise rice for the hungry with every correct answer, has provided meals to almost 5 million people since launching in 2007.
5 May 2011
Until recently, Neri, an HIV+ mother of three, often had to choose between feeding her children and feeding herself. It was an impossible choice and she might have died if she hadn't started receiving food as part of her treatment. She's now healther, better able to care for her family and was able to celebrate Mother’s Day.
16 July 2010
Central American governments are doing a good job of strengthening their social safety nets, but need to sharpen their focus on child nutrition, a new study by WFP reported this month. Here is a breakdown of the study's findings and recommendations.
29 June 2010
This project is financially supported by the European Union and benefits 6,000 small holder farmers in Honduras.
27 April 2010
Gladys Montoya, a single mother supporting elderly parents, has a good reason to be optimistic. She’s expecting a bumper crop this year that will feed her family, turn a profit and help Honduras’ hungry. Thanks to the newly launched P4P projects, thousands of farmers like her are learning to beat the poverty trap.
1 June 2009
The arid land of southern Honduras is far from ideal for growing food. But in one province, a government reforestation project, supported by WFP, has enabled around 3,000 families to make a stable living out of cashew cultivation.
6 March 2009
Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, droughts… nothing anyone can do will prevent them. But a lot can be done to reduce their impact – especially if there’s an early warning.
30 October 2008
WFP is providing emergency food to 55,000 people affected by unusually heavy rains in Honduras. The rains, which swept over Honduras for five consecutive days in mid October, left more than thirty people dead and forced more than 40,000 to seek shelter in temporary housing.
27 July 2007
WFP has welcomed contributions of $104 million from the US government this month to feed the hungry poor in 15 countries.
- Mujeres Unidas en Acción: Building Success for Women in Eastern Honduras Source: Huffington Post
- IICA strengthens partnership with World Food Programme Source: Estrategia y Negocios
- Honduras: A Call for Help to FAO and WFP to confront hunger Source: El Heraldo (Honduras)
- Improved Nutrition, Agricultural Development Helps Bring Hondurans Out of Poverty and Hunger Source: DipNote
- Proactively Planning for Replanting Source: Honduras Weekly
- Central America PRRO 200490 Restoring Food Security and Livelihoods for Vulnerable Groups Affected by Recurrent Shocks in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- Seasonal Monitor
- School Feeding- WFP’s role in Latin America and the Caribbean
- The Market Monitor
- 8 September 2014 Honduras: WFP-COPECO Distribute Food to Drought-Hit Communities
- 2 September 2014 'Zero Hunger: A World Without Hunger' By Child Artists