27 January 2014
More than 40,000 people have already crossed the border into Chad, fleeing conflict and violence in Central African Republic (CAR). While most are Chadian, many returnees have been living outside the country for years and no longer benefit from a strong support network. WFP is working quickly to respond to the situation and has already started distributing food at transit centres along the CAR-Chad border.
16 January 2014
Conflict in the Central African Republic has driven hundreds of thousands of people from their homes. WFP is providing food assistance in the capital, Bangui, and in other areas of the country. Endoxie Yassibiri has sought refuge at the Bangui airport and is now receiving food from WFP. She is grateful for the assistance but dreams of returning home.
16 January 2014
The conflict in the Central African Republic (CAR) has driven hundreds of thousands of people from their homes. Amid ongoing insecurity, WFP is distributing food assistance to families in need. Here are nine key facts about the hunger crisis in CAR.
23 December 2013
In the Central African Republic, WFP is providing food assistance to thousands of people who have fled the renewed violence in December. Distributions are taking place in hospitals, orphanages, churches and mosques - wherever people take refuge. Wilfred Feizoure, a father of two, was one recent recipient. But he is far from passive. He is doing what he can to support his family in this chaotic time.
14 December 2013
WFP continued to distribute food on Saturday to 40,000 people who have camped out at the airport in Bangui after being forced to flee their homes by the recent outbreak of fighting in the Central African Republic’s capital.
25 November 2013
More than a million people risk going hungry in the Central African Republic (CAR) after months of conflict. The World Food Programme (WFP) is on the ground, and WFP and its partners since the beginning of the year have been providing emergency food assistance to more than 300,000 people, including refugees, displaced persons, malnourished women and children. With armed gangs roaming large swathes of the country, getting assistance to those who need it most is a challenge, as Augustine Fredericks can attest.
15 November 2013
More than a million people in the Central African Republic (CAR) risk going hungry after months of conflict. Since January, the World Food Programme and its partners have been providing food assistance to 300,000 people across the country. Tens of thousands of people have fled their homes, hiding out in the bush for fear armed groups will attack them. Here is one man's story.
29 October 2013
Months of conflict in the Central African Republic have driven tens of thousands of people from their homes and farms, swelling the ranks of the hungry. WFP is providing food assistance to around 200,000 people at present and, in the western Bouar district, is distributing food rations to farmers to ensure they can still work in their fields and produce food.
15 August 2013
WFP provides vital food assistance in Central African Republic. It is scaling up operations to assist the most vulnerable populations caught up in a catastrophic situation.
21 September 2012
The feeling of hunger and neglect for many living in remote northeastern CAR has been growing over the past two years. The rainy season has made the area inaccessible and the transportation of food by road impossible. WFP has organized a series of airdrops to provide urgent relief to the isolated communities.
- Worsened security leads to further displacement in Central African Republic Source: Xinhua News
- Today’s Central African Republic: It Really Doesn’t Get Much Worse Than This Source: The Ottawa Citizen (Canada)
- Hatred festers as Muslims and Christians suffer in Central African Republic Source: Irish Times
- WFP Chief Calls for Humanitarian Intervention in CAR Source: VOA News
- In Central African Republic, a ‘very desperate situation’ in makeshift camps Source: PBS NewsHour
- Central African Republic Situation Report #41 25 June 2014
- Seasonal Monitor
- C.A.R. Regional Impact Situation Report #4 25 June 2014
- République du Congo - WFP/UNHCR Mission d'évaluation conjointe de la sécurité alimentaire et vulnérabilité des ménages de réfugiés provenant de la République Centrafricaine vivant dans le Département de la Likouala, Mai 2014
- 16 September 2014 Children Around The Globe Are Back At School, So Are WFP School Meals
- 8 September 2014 WFP's River Route For Food Going To C.A.R. Emergency
- 10 July 2014 Cameroon: A Day In The Life of a C.A.R. Refugee