30 August 2013
ERBIL, IRAQ – As the exodus continues of Syrians into the Kurdistan region of Iraq, the leaders of the UN refugee agency and the World Food Programme paid tribute to the government here for giving refuge to almost 200,000 people, including some 47,000 arriving in the last two weeks. Despite the strain of accommodating such a large number, the regional authorities have opened their border and offered land to accommodate refugees in camps.
27 August 2013
ERBIL, IRAQ – A chartered flight has arrived in Erbil carrying urgent relief items for the World Food Programme (WFP) and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) to meet the immediate humanitarian needs of Syrian refugees fleeing violence in Syria and crossing into northern Iraq.
5 August 2013
DOHUK – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) welcomed today a generous contribution of €10 million (US$13.3 million) from the Government of Germany that will help provide critical food assistance to thousands of vulnerable Syrian refugees in Iraq and neighbouring countries.
11 June 2013
BAGHDAD – In a technical workshop starting today, the Government of Iraq and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) will discuss the potential introduction of electronic food vouchers in the Iraqi Public Distribution System (PDS). They will be joined by financial payments experts from MasterCard, the leading global technology and payments company, which, under a global partnership, is partnering with WFP to strengthen its delivery of “digital food,” in the form of vouchers.
4 April 2013
AMMAN – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) has launched school feeding projects for more than 10,500 Syrian children attending schools in refugee camps in Jordan and Iraq to boost nutrition and encourage children to come to school.
3 December 2012
BAGHDAD – A new report by the UN World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Iraq shows that the number of Iraqis who are food insecure has decreased by more than quarter of a million compared to 2007.
13 September 2012
BAGHDAD – The Iraqi Ministry of Education and the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will provide this year a daily nutritious snack to more than half a million primary school children in central and southern Iraq.
17 August 2010
Baghdad – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is targeting unemployment in some of the areas most affected by violence and insecurity in Iraq through expanding its cash-for-work programme to reach more than 11,000 vulnerable people and help them meet their daily food needs.
7 June 2010
ROME– Tens of thousands of people yesterday took to the streets in cities around the world to show their support for the work of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in the fight against global hunger.
19 May 2010
BAGHDAD – The World Food Programme (WFP) today launched a cash-for-work programme in Iraq to help some of the poorest sections of Iraqi society earn enough money to pay for food that might otherwise be beyond their reach.
- Aid for Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq Source: Deutsche Welle
- Syrian Refugee Makes a Home Away from Home Source: PBS NewsHour
- Syrian refugees overwhelm Lebanon, region Source: The Washington Post
- Iraq: joint UN report finds that food insecurity decreased significantly over past five years Source: UN News Centre
- IRAQ: Call to adopt modern irrigation techniques Source: IRIN
- WFP SYRIA CRISIS RESPONSE Situation Update 11 - 24 JUNE 2014
- Syria - Syrian Refugees and Food Insecurity in Iraq, Jordan and Turkey: Secondary Literature and Data Desk Review, February 2013
- Protecting Asia’s Most Vulnerable - WFP and Social Safety Nets in Asia
- Building Resilience on a Fragile Continent - WFP and Climate Change in Asia
- 21 July 2014 WFP Assists Displaced Iraqi Families At Baharka Camp
- 16 July 2014 Iraq: Heat and Dust in Khazir Camp
- 25 June 2014 Iraq's Hungry Poor Hit Hard By New Crisis