16 December 2013
DAMASCUS – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) announced today that it is expanding its emergency operation to provide food assistance to over 7 million displaced Syrians inside their country and in neighbouring countries. Recent assessments show that almost half the population inside Syria is food insecure and close to 6.3 million people need urgent, life-saving, food assistance.
25 November 2013
BAGHDAD – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) has begun to use smart cards to deliver cash assistance in Iraq to participants in its cash-for-assets projects in Baghdad, Diyala and Ninewah.
16 October 2013
BAGHDAD – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is marking World Food Day on 16 October by highlighting the power of nutrition to transform individuals, societies and economies, and the need to make it central to all development efforts.
30 August 2013
ERBIL, IRAQ – As the exodus continues of Syrians into the Kurdistan region of Iraq, the leaders of the UN refugee agency and the World Food Programme paid tribute to the government here for giving refuge to almost 200,000 people, including some 47,000 arriving in the last two weeks. Despite the strain of accommodating such a large number, the regional authorities have opened their border and offered land to accommodate refugees in camps.
27 August 2013
ERBIL, IRAQ – A chartered flight has arrived in Erbil carrying urgent relief items for the World Food Programme (WFP) and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) to meet the immediate humanitarian needs of Syrian refugees fleeing violence in Syria and crossing into northern Iraq.
5 August 2013
DOHUK – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) welcomed today a generous contribution of €10 million (US$13.3 million) from the Government of Germany that will help provide critical food assistance to thousands of vulnerable Syrian refugees in Iraq and neighbouring countries.
11 June 2013
BAGHDAD – In a technical workshop starting today, the Government of Iraq and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) will discuss the potential introduction of electronic food vouchers in the Iraqi Public Distribution System (PDS). They will be joined by financial payments experts from MasterCard, the leading global technology and payments company, which, under a global partnership, is partnering with WFP to strengthen its delivery of “digital food,” in the form of vouchers.
4 April 2013
AMMAN – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) has launched school feeding projects for more than 10,500 Syrian children attending schools in refugee camps in Jordan and Iraq to boost nutrition and encourage children to come to school.
3 December 2012
BAGHDAD – A new report by the UN World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Iraq shows that the number of Iraqis who are food insecure has decreased by more than quarter of a million compared to 2007.
13 September 2012
BAGHDAD – The Iraqi Ministry of Education and the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will provide this year a daily nutritious snack to more than half a million primary school children in central and southern Iraq.
- Aid for Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq Source: Deutsche Welle
- Syrian Refugee Makes a Home Away from Home Source: PBS NewsHour
- Syrian refugees overwhelm Lebanon, region Source: The Washington Post
- Iraq: joint UN report finds that food insecurity decreased significantly over past five years Source: UN News Centre
- IRAQ: Call to adopt modern irrigation techniques Source: IRIN
- Iraq - Bulletin #7: Food consumption deteriorates in Anbar, June 2015
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Iraq - Bulletin #6: Food security worsens for IDPs in Anbar as conflict and displacement increase, May 2015
- Iraq - mVAM Monitoring
- 16 January 2015 Syrian Refugees From Kobane Seek Safety In Northern Iraq
- 7 January 2015 Iraq: Yazidis' Escape From Mt. Sinjar