23 July 2012
As conflict intensified in Damascus and Aleppo, thousands of Syrians crossed to Jordan seeking safety. The spill of Syrian refugees into Jordan has reached its peak this week with two thousand Syrians crossing on one single day. Many of them sought to quench their children’s hunger. Oum Qassem arrived recently with her family to the Cyber City transit centre in Ramtha, north of Jordan. There, WFP is providing weekly family food packages as the centre has been equipped with cooking facilities.
25 April 2012
In response to the Syrian emergency, WFP Jordan started on 19 April hot meals distribution for 1,000 Syrian refugees living in guest houses in two locations in Ramtha on the Jordanian Syrian border. Over one year of crisis in Syria has caused a deterioration of living conditions.
15 October 2008
As the sun set, the rocks of Petra turned from orange, to rose pink, then slowly to purple, and the Prague Philharmonia struck up with the overture of Rossini’s Barber of Seville, filling the natural theatre with sound.
18 May 2007
Over 100 vintage cars rolled out of Oberstaufen in Germany today, officially beginning the second 5,000-kilometre Allgaeu-Orient Rally against Hunger.
- Jordan Opens Second Camp for Syria Refugees Source: Naharnet/ AFP
- U.N. Warns of Dire Rise in Refugees From Syria Source: The New York Times
- UNHCR calls for plan to build emergency camps for Syrians Source: The Jordan Times
- Jordan prepares third Syrian camp as refugee ‘crisis’ grows Source: The Jordan Times
- World’s assistance to Jordan for refugees not enough — EU Source: The Jordan Times